Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are S&W M&Ps so cheap?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I don’t know. I didn’t know there were two versions. I’ve never even shot an M&P.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/smit...eldtm-9mm.html

That was $199 with a rebate a few weeks ago. You’d never ever ever see a Glock or VP9 or any other quality striker fired polymer pistol go for that cheap. Just wondering why no one is buying them.
    On the contrary, I believe people are buying them because they are decent quality lower cost alternative. I don't shoot my G43 as well as my Shield. I put this down to the better fit and surface area with regard to my hands. Trigger is definitely better on the M&P (to me). Give one a try, you might be pleasantly surprised. I bought one on a whim with no expectations and was surprised how accurate it was.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Shield is/was extremely popular. It may not be talked about much here but since it was introduced in 2012 S&W has sold several million of them. In 2015 they hit one million sold

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ease-in-sales/

Then around that time S&W was giving rebates for a good 6 months. All the gun stores around here were jammed packed with people buying Shield. Stores were constantly running out. After the rebates ended S&W introduced the 2.0.

At the time it was a big hit. Glock still hadn't come out with the 43 and when they did it had too small a grip and held less rounds. Up until the Sig365 it was a great option for a small, light conceal carry gun that had a decent grip and 8+1 or 9+1 capacity.

I gave it a shot a while ago and didn't care for it. The grip was too narrow, and the trigger safety would catch on the frame. Size and capacity wise it's not a bad gun. Had I liked it back then I'd probably stay with it but I prefer the 43X and even the 365 over it

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    One could not go wrong with a Shield for under 200. No brianer buy.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Recently saw M&P Shield 9s for $199.

Glock 43s list for $449, and sell at that price.

What gives?
    I've owned both. I still have the Shield.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don’t know. I didn’t know there were two versions. I’ve never even shot an M&P.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/smit...eldtm-9mm.html

That was $199 with a rebate a few weeks ago. You’d never ever ever see a Glock or VP9 or any other quality striker fired polymer pistol go for that cheap. Just wondering why no one is buying them.
    They sold a ton of them and they have been a very successful model for S&W.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I have had a shield for a few years for back up. They are great pistols. Not a target pistol, but a dependable, reliable CCW pistol. I have pounded mine hard. besides replacing recoil springs. Nothing has broke on it.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    They sold a ton of them and they have been a very successful model for S&W.
    Are they popular due to reliability, parts availability, upgrades, and accuracy or because they are being sold for $249.99 with a $50 rebate?

I guess what I’m asking is - Why would S&W sell shields for $249 with additional rebates if they could get $450 for them like Glock does? Does S&W dislike profits?

It also makes you wonder how much R&D and testing and product quality goes into a $199 Polymer gun like a Shield vs a $900 VP9.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-02-20 at 09:27.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I've owned both. I still have the Shield.
    Your contribution to the used Glock market is appreciated by many! If only more would follow suit.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-02-20 at 09:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are they popular due to reliability, parts availability, upgrades, and accuracy or because they are being sold for $249.99 with a $50 rebate?

I guess what I’m asking is - Why would S&W sell shields for $249 with additional rebates if they could get $450 for them like Glock does? Does S&W dislike profits?

It also makes you wonder how much R&D and testing and product quality goes into a $199 Polymer gun like a Shield vs a $900 VP9.
    There definitely upgrades. Ampex makes trigger kits, plenty of mag extensions and sight options

They've generally been reliable

The gen 1 (1.0) has been out since 2012 and the gen 2 (2.0) since about 2015/16.

S&W does sales and rebates. Something Glock never does. Just a different approach to sales. The sold 1 million Shields in 3 years!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    They are great pistols. Not a target pistol, but a dependable, reliable CCW pistol.
    I'd argue that other than the compact size and corresponding ergonomic concessions for size... the Shield is a great target pistol. Both that I've shot were easy to get hits with a medium pistol distance on the first mag. No learning curve, getting used to trigger, break in, etc. in order to immediately start getting accurate hits.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast