Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are S&W M&Ps so cheap?

Feedback Score
    MArk, i was referring to a target pistol as something you would go out and shoot 500-1000 rounds with. I could not do that with the shield. Had nothing to do with accuracy. Sorry about that.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Are they popular due to reliability, parts availability, upgrades, and accuracy or because they are being sold for $249.99 with a $50 rebate?
    Perhaps both? No lack of after market choices for the Shield, have heard very few complaints about reliability, 2k through mine with zero issues, decent ergos, and and costs less than other options you list, so not too surprisng it's been a win for them on that model. Trigger is not great to be sure, I hear the 2.0 is better.

I guess what I’m asking is - Why would S&W sell shields for $249 with additional rebates if they could get $450 for them like Glock does? Does S&W dislike profits?
    You'd have to ask them I guess. I don't know what their margins are or what their tactics are for prices they set. I do know they produced a great little pistol for the $ and hope they continue to do.

It also makes you wonder how much R&D and testing and product quality goes into a $199 Polymer gun like a Shield vs a $900 VP9.
    While I did a short stint as an adjunct instructor at the S&W Training Center, I have no real knowledge of that as it compares to other manufactures.

Some times pricing is a factor of things like R&D/testing/product quality etc, and some times it's a function of marketing and perception, etc, some times it's a function of both in varying measures. They could be blasting out the 1.0 at close to cost to make room for the 2.0.

Got the GF a HKV9-sk. We used my Shield, rented a Glock 43 and the HKV9-sk as the three major choices, she liked the HK product. It was way south of 900, but not $249 much less $199.

She has approx 500 trouble free rnds so far.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 01-02-20 at 10:25.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Your contribution to the used Glock market is appreciated by many! If only more would follow suit.
    Let me clarify a bit. I didn't dislike it. My G19 is still my OG do-it-all pistol. But when run side by side, I find the Shield to be a better product than the G43 in terms of on target performance for a pistol smaller than a G19.

Concerning R&D, Grant has said before that any of the polymer pistols (G17, etc) are $90-$100 guns. In terms of volume, Glocks are probably some of the cheapest to produce. I'd wager the rest is marketing practices.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 01-02-20 at 10:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    The challenge I have seen with the Shield is the slide release.
    The Shield does not have a slide release.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/sites/d...s_06-01-16.pdf

Page 13 third paragraph.

Then read page 18.

I guess what I’m asking is - Why would S&W sell shields for $249 with additional rebates if they could get $450 for them like Glock does? Does S&W dislike profits?
    Two reasons. Clear out the inventory of unsold 1.0 models and cut in to Glock's market share.
    Last edited by JDH1; 01-02-20 at 15:22.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post

Page 13 third paragraph.

Then read page 18.

Thanks loads, I'll be sure and write that on the chalkboard 50 times.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are they popular due to reliability, parts availability, upgrades, and accuracy or because they are being sold for $249.99 with a $50 rebate?

It also makes you wonder how much R&D and testing and product quality goes into a $199 Polymer gun like a Shield vs a $900 VP9.
    VP9s are around $500.

Feedback Score

From my experience, I doubt you’d find much difference in reliability between a Shield and a G43. I own both and both meet all my expectations.

I do see the Shield as a much better value, all things equal.

I don’t know about the price and how it works out, profits wise, but i rarely see Glocks in any type of major sale. Glock has never fluctuated much price-wise.

I own far more Glocks than any other brand, but if you are looking for the negative reason the Shield is so much less, I don’t think you’ll find one. It really is a decent gun.

I also own a S&W Performance Center Shield, and that is really nice. Bought it on a great sale at Cabelas several years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I ended up sanding a huge burr off my slide release. Its actually usable now.

Everything else about the pistol has been great.

Edit: looks like a few of us run g19s and shields. For as much as people talk about grip angle on the internet, going back and forth has not been an issue for me.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-03-20 at 06:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, I've been identified as a boomer and accused of being a firearms instructor stuck in the 80's, but even I knew that.

Really like my Shield 1.0, but I'm Glock centric due to shooting GSSF.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-03-20 at 02:27.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post

Page 13 third paragraph.

Then read page 18.

Two reasons. Clear out the inventory of unsold 1.0 models and cut in to Glock's market share.
    This is yet another tired & useless argument over semantics. slide release/slide stop...who gives a fart in a whirlwind what its called- we all know what it is & does. Like the stupid argument over whether to use it to reload or go over the top and pull the slide to release it to reload. WHO GIVES A SHIT. Do it one way way & go on about your business.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast