Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case split in Wilson combat 1911

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Case split in Wilson combat 1911

I went shooting the other day, first time in awhile and ran my carry mags first. This was the first round. I have a few ideas of the issue. Cycled round a few times and or a bad case as you can see by the coloring around the head. It was a new Starline +p case loaded n350 7.1grs, .003 crimp, 230gr gold dot and cci large pistol primer. Should I send the gun in to get checked out? I have since completely stripped and cleaned it. Everything looked fine to me, but I’m no gunsmith. Also, any ideas in the issue that caused this?

Eta: I plunk test each of my carry rounds after I’m done. Reloaded on a Dillon 650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 01-02-20 at 01:32.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wouldn't bother sending the gun in. How many times has that piece of brass been reloaded? I've seen many pieces of my brass crack like that. Always happens after they have been used too much.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd run a bunch of quality Factory new ammo and see if any of those are cracked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I wouldn't bother sending the gun in. How many times has that piece of brass been reloaded? I've seen many pieces of my brass crack like that. Always happens after they have been used too much.
    Case was brand new. I don’t use fired cases for my sd ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What do the primers look like?

Feedback Score
    The gun is damaged send it to me for disposal. Actually I doubt a random case split now and then indicates a problem. I have had many split cases over the decades.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Possibly an out of spec chamber?

You’re not maxed out with your load according to Vv website data.
    Assuming you don’t have some bizzaro short OAL that would jack up pressures, I’d look at the barrel/chamber.

Have you tried factory +P 230 gr. to see if this is an issue with factory load?
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I missed the part in your initial post regarding the brass being brand new. Your best bet would be to contact Starline. They've probably seen more split cases than all of us combined. Maybe they had a bad batch.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Possibly an out of spec chamber?

You’re not maxed out with your load according to Vv website data.

Assuming you don’t have some bizzaro short OAL that would jack up pressures, I’d look at the barrel/chamber.

Have you tried factory +P 230 gr. to see if this is an issue with factory load?
    My initial post with underlined....

Not knowing your experience/background in reloading, see link re. sizing die/expander die: http://www.massreloading.com/setback.html

FWIW; we used to occasionally see guys, usually involving REM./UMC brass (.45 ACP) which had thinner case walls/less case tension, blow a case from setback.
    It was most often due to bullet setback caused by expander die, type of bullet and/or chambering the round one too many times.
    Expander die mandrel diameters can be all over the board. Too large a diameter mandrel will eff up case tension- which is what holds bullet in place in case.
    A tapered case cartridge (.45 ACP is one) will have less case tension than a straight wall case (think revolver or .38 Super).
    People frequently believe that the Taper Crimp die is what what holds bullet in place. It's not- Taper Crimp simply removes any case flair so cartridge will chamber and seat properly.

Starline handgun brass is close to being Gold Standard for brass. I doubt it was the culprit.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-07-20 at 06:12.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My initial post with underlined....

Not knowing your experience/background in reloading, see link re. sizing die/expander die: http://www.massreloading.com/setback.html

FWIW; we used to occasionally see guys, usually involving REM./UMC brass (.45 ACP) which had thinner case walls/less case tension, blow a case from setback.
    It was most often due to bullet setback caused by expander die, type of bullet and/or chambering the round one too many times.
    Expander die mandrel diameters can be all over the board. Too large a diameter mandrel will eff up case tension- which is what holds bullet in place in case.
    A tapered case cartridge (.45 ACP is one) will have less case tension than a straight wall case (think revolver or .38 Super).
    People frequently believe that the Taper Crimp die is what what holds bullet in place. It's not- Taper Crimp simply removes any case flair so cartridge will chamber and seat properly.

Starline handgun brass is close to being Gold Standard for brass. I doubt it was the culprit.
    The more I think about it, I think it was from cycling it to much. But I have pulled a handful of cases so far that have a tarnished blemish spot on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast