Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Case split in Wilson combat 1911

Feedback Score

Case split in Wilson combat 1911

I went shooting the other day, first time in awhile and ran my carry mags first. This was the first round. I have a few ideas of the issue. Cycled round a few times and or a bad case as you can see by the coloring around the head. It was a new Starline +p case loaded n350 7.1grs, .003 crimp, 230gr gold dot and cci large pistol primer. Should I send the gun in to get checked out? I have since completely stripped and cleaned it. Everything looked fine to me, but I’m no gunsmith. Also, any ideas in the issue that caused this?

Eta: I plunk test each of my carry rounds after I’m done. Reloaded on a Dillon 650

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 01-02-20 at 01:32.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wouldn't bother sending the gun in. How many times has that piece of brass been reloaded? I've seen many pieces of my brass crack like that. Always happens after they have been used too much.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd run a bunch of quality Factory new ammo and see if any of those are cracked.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    I wouldn't bother sending the gun in. How many times has that piece of brass been reloaded? I've seen many pieces of my brass crack like that. Always happens after they have been used too much.
    Case was brand new. I don’t use fired cases for my sd ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What do the primers look like?

Feedback Score
    The gun is damaged send it to me for disposal. Actually I doubt a random case split now and then indicates a problem. I have had many split cases over the decades.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Possibly an out of spec chamber?

You’re not maxed out with your load according to Vv website data.
    Assuming you don’t have some bizzaro short OAL that would jack up pressures, I’d look at the barrel/chamber.

Have you tried factory +P 230 gr. to see if this is an issue with factory load?
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I missed the part in your initial post regarding the brass being brand new. Your best bet would be to contact Starline. They've probably seen more split cases than all of us combined. Maybe they had a bad batch.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Cycled round a few times and or a bad case as you can see by the coloring around the head.
    Are you saying you cycled the round into the gun a few times? That can set a bullet back in a 1911. Might increase pressure a bit.

In all likelihood, it's just a bad case. Nothing that would damage the gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    That case looks janky...What's up with the is odd staining between the crack and the base? Was it exposed to something that caused it to corrode between the time that you loaded it and when you fired it? Any of the other cases look like this?

Your gun is almost certainly fine. I suspect that case is/was bad, probably from whatever caused it to corrode.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast