Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case split in Wilson combat 1911

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    That case looks janky...What's up with the is odd staining between the crack and the base? Was it exposed to something that caused it to corrode between the time that you loaded it and when you fired it? Any of the other cases look like this?
    Likely gas bleed in from the split flowing backwards from the pressure.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Are you saying you cycled the round into the gun a few times? That can set a bullet back in a 1911. Might increase pressure a bit.

In all likelihood, it's just a bad case. Nothing that would damage the gun.
    I was really hoping you’d see this and share your insight.

Yes it was cycled in and out a few times I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    After I saw this I went through the rest of them and pulled a few that had a spot like that on it. Pisser is they’re brand new

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    After I saw this I went through the rest of them and pulled a few that had a spot like that on it. Pisser is they’re brand new
    Are you seeing the spot on fired brass? And no splitting?

If so, is there any unusual voids in the pistol chamber?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Bullet set back and more pressure or just a bad case. How was the recoil? Did you check each case before reloading? I know, brand new and all. I haven’t ever seen a bad brand new case but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I have had a few bullets set back a little into cases and I did fire them with no adverse issues with the cases. Not many mind you, just a few. From loading the cartridge into the chamber a few times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Are you seeing the spot on fired brass? And no splitting?

If so, is there any unusual voids in the pistol chamber?
    I pulled the spotted ones. Didn’t fire them. They’re still sitting in the case, separated though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Bullet set back and more pressure or just a bad case. How was the recoil? Did you check each case before reloading? I know, brand new and all. I haven’t ever seen a bad brand new case but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I have had a few bullets set back a little into cases and I did fire them with no adverse issues with the cases. Not many mind you, just a few. From loading the cartridge into the chamber a few times.
    The recoil was stout. That’s why I stopped and investigated. I noticed out of the corner of my right eye though that it had a long weird ejection pattern.

Feedback Score
    Toss the brass, clean the chamber, keep shooting.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Possibly an out of spec chamber?

You’re not maxed out with your load according to Vv website data.

Assuming you don’t have some bizzaro short OAL that would jack up pressures, I’d look at the barrel/chamber.

Have you tried factory +P 230 gr. to see if this is an issue with factory load?
    My initial post with underlined....

Not knowing your experience/background in reloading, see link re. sizing die/expander die: http://www.massreloading.com/setback.html

FWIW; we used to occasionally see guys, usually involving REM./UMC brass (.45 ACP) which had thinner case walls/less case tension, blow a case from setback.
    It was most often due to bullet setback caused by expander die, type of bullet and/or chambering the round one too many times.
    Expander die mandrel diameters can be all over the board. Too large a diameter mandrel will eff up case tension- which is what holds bullet in place in case.
    A tapered case cartridge (.45 ACP is one) will have less case tension than a straight wall case (think revolver or .38 Super).
    People frequently believe that the Taper Crimp die is what what holds bullet in place. It's not- Taper Crimp simply removes any case flair so cartridge will chamber and seat properly.

Starline handgun brass is close to being Gold Standard for brass. I doubt it was the culprit.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-07-20 at 06:12.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    My initial post with underlined....

Not knowing your experience/background in reloading, see link re. sizing die/expander die: http://www.massreloading.com/setback.html

FWIW; we used to occasionally see guys, usually involving REM./UMC brass (.45 ACP) which had thinner case walls/less case tension, blow a case from setback.
    It was most often due to bullet setback caused by expander die, type of bullet and/or chambering the round one too many times.
    Expander die mandrel diameters can be all over the board. Too large a diameter mandrel will eff up case tension- which is what holds bullet in place in case.
    A tapered case cartridge (.45 ACP is one) will have less case tension than a straight wall case (think revolver or .38 Super).
    People frequently believe that the Taper Crimp die is what what holds bullet in place. It's not- Taper Crimp simply removes any case flair so cartridge will chamber and seat properly.

Starline handgun brass is close to being Gold Standard for brass. I doubt it was the culprit.
    The more I think about it, I think it was from cycling it to much. But I have pulled a handful of cases so far that have a tarnished blemish spot on them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast