Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting my first ar pistol

Feedback Score

Wanting my first ar pistol

I’m going to buy an ar pistol. Not sure if I should go 300blackout or just keep it streamlined and get a 556. Mainly for fun but want to have it reliable enough to keep next to the bed. I have read through threads and have seen some have had good luck with psa, some haven’t. I’m not sure if I should settle for a complete psa, or just bite the bullet and buy bcm. Unless their is an in between option? Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Something to think about...a 5.56 pistol is going to be incredibly loud indoors and the muzzle flash blinding at night. The muzzle blast at in indoor range is impressive and painful to some even with hearing protection. I’d shoot one first to see if it is what you really want.

I do have a 5.56 pistol that I shoot with a can which makes it much more reasonable especially indoors and is not like setting off a flash bang 2 feet in front of your face.

A subsonic 300BO would be much more forgiving indoors and if you have a can a heck of a lot of fun.

I have a couple of PSA built lowers and uppers, for the most part I have had no issues with them. I have found their .308 AR-10 uppers tend to be over-gassed if you use other than a 147 -155gr nato loading. I turned that upper into a 6.5 creedmoor by swapping the barrel.

Thinking back, I believe the 300BO was purchased as a pistol lower and separate pistol upper both from PSA. No issues with it and I swap out other pistol uppers (.223 Wilde 10.5” ,.22lr 4”) onto the same lower as needed.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Only PSA uppers I would buy are their Premium CHF with barrels made by FN, of these I don't like that their 5.56 are only available in 10.5 as I prefer 11.5-12.5. In 300 they sell one with 8" barrel, sometimes they go on sell for even lower than $440, or with free shipping. Toolcraft BCG is a bonus with these.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ft-bcg-ch.html
    Last edited by mack7.62; 01-02-20 at 10:40.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I’m going to buy an ar pistol. Not sure if I should go 300blackout or just keep it streamlined and get a 556. Mainly for fun but want to have it reliable enough to keep next to the bed. I have read through threads and have seen some have had good luck with psa, some haven’t. I’m not sure if I should settle for a complete psa, or just bite the bullet and buy bcm. Unless their is an in between option? Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    If you’re looking for home defense, I’d recommend a pistol caliber version like a 9 mm, 10 mm or 45 ACP.

I have them in all flavors except 10 mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Decibel level is mostly a moot point with just about anything topping 150 db.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...SBR-vs-Shotgun

The difference in person is noticeable as a barrel is shortened or rifle vs. pistol, but I am not sure it gets over to the debilitating level.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-02-20 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    Any thoughts on the Ruger ar pistols or the Springfield victors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'd honestly go straight for quality. BCM, Sionics, etc if you are looking to buy assembled. I'd probably stay with 5.56 as well.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    If you’re looking for home defense, I’d recommend a pistol caliber version like a 9 mm, 10 mm or 45 ACP.

I have them in all flavors except 10 mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Why? 5.56 out of an 11.5 and definitely 300BO will produce far better terminal ballistics.

OP, I’d personally stick to 5.56 and go for something like a BCM 12.5 Kino.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score

Wanting my first ar pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why? 5.56 out of an 11.5 and definitely 300BO will produce far better terminal ballistics.

OP, I’d personally stick to 5.56 and go for something like a BCM 12.5 Kino.

They actually suppress very well. The ballistics with a barrel longer than standard has very good ballistics for pistol caliber AR Pistols.

I have 7 of them in all of the calibers, anyways, so you’re preaching to the choir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    They actually suppress very well. The ballistics with a barrel longer than standard has very good ballistics for pistol caliber AR Pistols.

I have 7 of them in all of the calibers, anyways, so you’re preaching to the choir.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Very good ballistics for pistol calibers, but still shitty compared to rifle calibers. I'd prefer terminal performance over lower decibel for that application...
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast