Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanting my first ar pistol

Feedback Score
    93 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say a heavy subsonic .30 caliber bullet will out penetrate a .223 caliber bullet travelling at 2400 fps or more.
    Thanks Andy. Looks like I just accepted a fellow moron’s claim for this round. A little more research makes your case. Better than sub ball for some uses, but not a good choice for indoor defense.
    “ When I comes to modern politics, I think the inverse of Hanlon's Razor applies...In other words, "Never attribute to stupidity that which is adequately explained by malice." - Kerplode

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I learned it here.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-04-20 at 09:44.

Feedback Score
    The reason I was interested in the 300 was the shorter barrel and not being as hard on the ears if I had to use her without ear pro. Going 556 opens up a lot more options though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I will throw in a twist and recommend an 11" 7.62x39 built pistol. KAK and others have great parts for a build. Similar performance to a 300BO, but ammo is cheaper and more readily available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I’m going to buy an ar pistol. Not sure if I should go 300blackout or just keep it streamlined and get a 556. Mainly for fun but want to have it reliable enough to keep next to the bed. I have read through threads and have seen some have had good luck with psa, some haven’t. I’m not sure if I should settle for a complete psa, or just bite the bullet and buy bcm.
    I have an LMT 10.5 in 5.56. Runs great. Much fury and fire.
    If I was to do it over again, .300 all day long from decent vendor. The ballistics are solid within realistic distances, the barrels can get shorter and you have the versatility of supers/subs. The only downside is cost, but that care and feeding differential is not that significant unless you are in the hundreds of rounds a month.

Feedback Score
    I have built and own both 5.56 and 300 in pistol form, with thousands through both in search of a good gun for things that go bang in the night. My opinion the 300 is the better for a bedside defense tool. It does not have the flash and noise of the 5.56 and it makes .30 cal holes. I do reload, so practice ammo is reasonable, yea I know not as reasonable as 5.56. I shoot the 5.56 a lot outside, I would hate to touch that trigger off in the dark and anywhere near a wall. Yes I have shot at night and it is a fireball. The 300 still throws some flame, but not anywhere near the 223 and the noise is more tolerant. I also live in the country in the middle of 15 acres of woods, and wanted a rifle caliber as opposed to a pistol caliber. Hope this is helpful, last item do not buy cheap parts if you are putting it together, you will have less headaches.

Feedback Score
    I’m leaning hard to 300bo. Now it’s just saving the money. I think I’m going either Springfield or bcm. Not sure yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Both good choices, personally I lean towards BCM.

Feedback Score
    Either if suppressed. If not:
    Stick to 11.5 or longer for 556.

Or 7-9” 300blk. Subs will be a bit quieter (more like pcc/pistol report), and some of the sub loads offer better term ballistics than pistols. Supers would be the best for ballistics but louder.

I went with 11.5 556 and silencer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123