Thread: Does anyone make?

Feedback Score

Does anyone make?

I really like my lightweight Ruger 9mm Commander size SR1911. After upping the recoil spring from the OEM 10# to a Wolfe 14#, replacing the grips with Magpul TSP grips and having Novak’s replace the front sight with a taller sight with Tritium insert it is actually an enjoyable little gun. Light and thin enough to carry, more than accurate enough for social work. So far in at least 500 rounds it has only glitched once when I let the slide hit the top of a firing port in recoil. There is zero wear to whatever finish Ruger applied to the alloy frame. I can hit a target 3x with 9mm in the time that I can hit it 2x with a .45.

However, I’m retired and not getting any younger. I want to try a RDS equipped pistol because that blasted front sight is getting hard to see.

I’ve looked but can’t find:
    1) Commander size alloy frame 9mm ramped barrel
    2) Mounting system for RMR / Holosun
    3) Railed frame (nice but optional)
    4) Standard 9/10 round single stack magazine
    5) Sub $1,500 (remember, I’m retired)

The closest I can find are the STI guns but they’re pricey and take a basically proprietary magazine. The “Ez Button” is buy a G19 MOS and get pulled into the 21st Century. Another option is to buy a 2nd Commander and have it milled for RDS use.
    Decisions, decisions.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Consider a DW “Vigil” Commander.
    No rail
    No RMR mount
    Checks all the other boxes.
    They use quality parts and are reasonably well assembled.

But- you could have slide milled and be under your $ cap.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    I really like my lightweight Ruger 9mm Commander size SR1911. After upping the recoil spring from the OEM 10# to a Wolfe 14#, replacing the grips with Magpul TSP grips and having Novak’s replace the front sight with a taller sight with Tritium insert it is actually an enjoyable little gun. Light and thin enough to carry, more than accurate enough for social work. So far in at least 500 rounds it has only glitched once when I let the slide hit the top of a firing port in recoil. There is zero wear to whatever finish Ruger applied to the alloy frame. I can hit a target 3x with 9mm in the time that I can hit it 2x with a .45.

However, I’m retired and not getting any younger. I want to try a RDS equipped pistol because that blasted front sight is getting hard to see.

I’ve looked but can’t find:
    1) Commander size alloy frame 9mm ramped barrel
    2) Mounting system for RMR / Holosun
    3) Railed frame (nice but optional)
    4) Standard 9/10 round single stack magazine
    5) Sub $1,500 (remember, I’m retired)

The closest I can find are the STI guns but they’re pricey and take a basically proprietary magazine. The “Ez Button” is buy a G19 MOS and get pulled into the 21st Century. Another option is to buy a 2nd Commander and have it milled for RDS use.
    Decisions, decisions.
    Gunnar- have you looked into some other, hi-viz sights?
    May I recommend you look at Ameriglo CAP sights? Ives used them for many years now on several of my guns..they all have them now. Orange, or my favorite, photo luminescent, man they POP day & especially night. Just a thought.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Gaijin,
    I’ll try to find a DW

SS,
    I have an XDs with a fiber optic sight and the STI Staccato C I looked at had one too. They certainly help, as does the Novak sight with a white ring around the tritium insert. I just have the “wants” to try a RDS equipped carry gun.

Thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar da Wolf View Post
    Gaijin,
    I’ll try to find a DW

SS,
    I have an XDs with a fiber optic sight and the STI Staccato C I looked at had one too. They certainly help, as does the Novak sight with a white ring around the tritium insert. I just have the “wants” to try a RDS equipped carry gun.

Thanks guys!
    Hey ,Ive had the wants many times- good luck!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Any guidance as to the best route to attach a Holosun 507c to a 1911 without duct tape would be appreciated.

Feedback Score
    JP weld???

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    You’ll need the slide cut/milled G.

Holosun has a new, micro pistol RD out that is aimed at the P365 size gun.
    I’d hold off doing anything until I had a chance to look into that RD.
    The footprint is apparently unique to that particular optic.

Found the utube link:

https://youtu.be/NdSMvRnGRyA
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-13-20 at 16:05.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link!
    Something like the 507K that can (maybe) be direct milled would be the better option.
    This project may need to percolate a while longer.