Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: ARs didn't really need to have 1-7" Twist and how it was determined that they would.

Feedback Score
    Humpy, do you have any plan on writing a book about your experience?
    Those memories are invaluable to modern firearms historians.

Envoyé de mon LDN-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    WS6 very interesting information. Was that a result of the U.S. Army Wound Ballistics Lab work in California and Col Martin Fackler MD? I know he did lots of work on not only military projectiles but civilian projectiles as well. Was there a wound tract profile generated?
    Dr Robers has spoken to this, and others have independently verified it. Consider the rotational forces on a bullet being able to open the petals, as it were. The faster it spins about its axis, the more rapidly it will spin open, and the lower forward velocity it will require to do so.

Feedback Score
    No I am no book writer but folks have told me they copy and paste what I have written in thumb drives over the years.

Insofar as wound lethallity Fackler told me me a hollow point round that does not strike the body at over 1100 fps is very unlikely to expand. Handguns on a whole have a slow twist rate. I believe the Beretta M9 was speced for a 10 twist while most handguns are like 14" inch.

Military rifle rounds tend to tumble upon impact reversing direction inside the body and exiting the body point towards the shooter.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...3pWYVVJeGlGaFE

Open and download the above. This is all ten years of the International Wound Ballistics Assn and if you read them all you will have a much better understanding of what happens to a bullet when it strikes a human.

Also do a search for the NATO HANDBOOK on EMERGENCY WAR SURGERY and go to the chapter on Missile Caused Wounds and read that. The author is Col Martin Fackler MD who was the Chairman of the IWBA. He passed about 18 months back. I really miss getting his emails.

Feedback Score

Insofar as wound lethallity Fackler told me me a hollow point round that does not strike the body at over 1100 fps is very unlikely to expand. Handguns on a whole have a slow twist rate. I believe the Beretta M9 was speced for a 10 twist while most handguns are like 14" inch.
    It very well could be that the Dr’s experience in wounds highlights the ineffectiveness of 10%ballistics gelatin for this testing; but most “modern” defense hollow points do expand in gel at lower velocities, which seem to vary depending on the brand & caliber what velocity is needed. 950-1000 FPS seems typical. I’ve paid most attention to tests of Hornady XTPs because I use them for reloading and those require at least 950+ for reliability.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    It could be but this is assuming the current gelatin is the same and the temperature of it is the same. I remember Fackler saying he could not get duplication just by mixing and he had to cool it down to duplicate humans.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Insofar as wound lethallity Fackler told me me a hollow point round that does not strike the body at over 1100 fps is very unlikely to expand.
    This was true decades ago, but is not today, at least for handgun service calibers.

I don't know of any changes to the gel from when it was developed. I do know handgun bullet designs are much improved for reliable expansion.

Feedback Score
    That is good to know. I have some of the Winchester 9MM heavy HPs for my G43.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    hey fella's try to keep it on the rifle-start something in the appropriate section for the pistol rounds.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789