Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vortex Razor Gen III coming

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I'd like to try a Trijicon VCOG someday but that's ~a $2K scope (comes with a built-in mount, at least).
    Clarity is okay. The VCOG feels solid but is also heavy. Yeah the mount is built-in which adds weight but the optic is heavy none the less.

Reticle is about as useless as most of these tend to be. Too small and not bright enough to really use like a red dot. Too thick and blocky on 6x for precision. Seems best at something like 3x.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah there is a reason the VCOG never caught on with anyone - and it's not because it's awesome.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    By the numbers this looks like a winner. Especially at a 2K street price, these babes should be hard to find in stock anywhere. That said, I hate to tell you guys, but my ATACR 1x8 won't be on the EE lol.

I'm curious what would be a more market moving optic: a usable 1x10 in the same size/weight package as the previous market shifting 1x8 (what it appears we're getting), or a usable 1x8 in a smaller and lighter package? I only think it's worth asking because I think there's a useful limit to the high end of magnification on anything that starts with 1x. I can imagine a scenario where I carry a weapon where both 1x and 8x are useful, but is 10x that much more better than 8?

I guess maybe my preference would be for manufacturers to shrink the 1x8 FFP before taking the arms race the other way, but that is in no way an effort to shit on this particular offering. It honestly looks like an awesome package, with an extremely competitive price.

Maybe I'll pick one up slightly used in a couple years when somebody drops the 1x12x30.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    By the numbers this looks like a winner. Especially at a 2K street price, these babes should be hard to find in stock anywhere. That said, I hate to tell you guys, but my ATACR 1x8 won't be on the EE lol.

I'm curious what would be a more market moving optic: a usable 1x10 in the same size/weight package as the previous market shifting 1x8 (what it appears we're getting), or a usable 1x8 in a smaller and lighter package? I only think it's worth asking because I think there's a useful limit to the high end of magnification on anything that starts with 1x. I can imagine a scenario where I carry a weapon where both 1x and 8x are useful, but is 10x that much more better than 8?

I guess maybe my preference would be for manufacturers to shrink the 1x8 FFP before taking the arms race the other way, but that is in no way an effort to shit on this particular offering. It honestly looks like an awesome package, with an extremely competitive price.

Maybe I'll pick one up slightly used in a couple years when somebody drops the 1x12x30.
    I would much rather have a 1-10x as it could replace 2-10x which I think is a perfect recce optic. 1-8x never filled a niche for me as it sat in between optics, I would rather have a 1-6 or a 2-10x.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I would much rather have a 1-10x as it could replace 2-10x which I think is a perfect recce optic. 1-8x never filled a niche for me as it sat in between optics, I would rather have a 1-6 or a 2-10x.
    Agreed.

The 2.5-10x optics were and still are much favored. A 1-10x optic offers an even better magnification range. And that is a great thing. I remember a thread on another forum where some old timer asked why folks were looking to get 1-6x optics when a 1-4x or even a 1-3x was the previous norm (he actually thought 1-4x was the standard... in 2018). Several folks tried to educate him about modern optics and LPVOs. It was a slow and painful process.
    Last edited by Snipe315; 01-13-20 at 23:03.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    This is a curious conundrum. Currently contemplating optics, plural, for two rifles. I was looking at both lighter 1-6’s and 1-8’s.

Defining the end to justify the means is Paramount, but, this optic checks a lot of boxes in both the light recce and SPR fields. I was considering a Nightforce 1-8 ATACR within the mix...

assuming the GEN 3 is well executed, I am wondering if there is any reason to consider it anymore....

Within the confusion MARCH is releasing a 1-10 concept on the lighter side https://marchscopes.com/news/3798/
    Last edited by Sabre675; 01-14-20 at 04:39.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    March's are nearly hand-built from what I understand.

For a 1-8x I went NX-8 for what I wanted - short, lighter, and in my price-range I couldn't justify the $1k more for the ATACR (both with discounts).

For 1-6x I like the PST Gen 2 as the best bang for the buck compared to the Razor - for double the price, it isn't double the capability IMO, at least not until you are really pushing your rifle at the limits of 6x.

This 1-10x Razor III looks interesting but like all things the cool kids chase, will wait and see if they become less enamored with it after they buy and shoot them more. Seems to happen with most optics, not that they are bad but people don't understand what they are really getting. I'm sure it'll be well executed but I never buy until it's been in people hands for 6+ months (BTDT with early recalls, oh they screwed this up at the factory, etc). Sure the companies have always made it right but I prefer to stick with what I have and watch first. Maybe get behind one at the range before buying - not always possible but I think if you have local friends sooner or later a Razor III will show up if you are patient and ask around.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’m not very well versed in optics. Is this going to be a far better scope then an Accupower 1-8?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Eagerly waiting for the side by side with the razor 1-6x and the ATACR. Honestly if 1x is as good at either I'm gonna have to break my rule of wait atleast a year before jumping into a new product. My main gripe with the razor II was the tiny red dot and crappy reticle choices, the gen 3 seems to solve those issues just like the NF but at a lower price point.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-19-20 at 15:29.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Insider tip from Ilya Koshkin over on Snipershide is that the product is real and will be officially announced in a week.

There is also a page with the reticle options.

I'm not sure if this flyer is final or accurate. If they have truly achieved a 1-10x FFP scope in the exact same footprint and weight as the II-E 1-6, this is a revolutionary product. Adding an exceedingly useful wind dot MRAD reticle akin to the one Nightforce put in their 1-8 ATACR is simply the cherry on top of the already mindblowing pie.

My Razor 1-6 gen II no longer feels like an investment, it feels like a boat anchor. But such is the price of progress..
    Let me know when your ready to dump that anchor 🤗

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast