Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vortex Razor Gen III coming

Feedback Score
    When leveling a scope I've always found it useful to hang a plumb bob at fifty yards and then match the vertical line in the reticle to the string. It's easy and gets the job done and I have never had any issues. You just have to be careful not to move the scope as you tighten down the mount screws. Do it a couple times and it's no biggie. FWIW.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A plumb line that is centered while looking through the barrel and plumb with the reticle is the only true way (that and the flashlight through the ocular).

Making the turret housing and mount parallel is just that.

Not saying it doesn't work, but it's a slipshod way of doing things IMO.

Feedback Score
    Look what came in the mail today! I took a photo of it next to my Strike Eagle. I still need to buy a mount, but first impressions are that the glass is very clean and the 1x feels more like .5x. The eyebox is great and looking through the scope, you don't see the knobs on the outside. Best of all it's aimpoint bright when it's on. I'll test it out on my work gun next time we hit the range, but until then, I plan on giving it a good run. I've been meaning to revamp our LVPO course that we teach for open enrollment and this will definitely get me back on track.
    image1.jpg
    Last edited by GreenOps; 02-13-20 at 22:50. Reason: Photo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Making the turret housing and mount parallel is just that.
    If reticle is not squared to turrets and scope body, that means reticle will not be tracking properly with windage and elevation adjustments. While there can be a point that in some scopes nobody touch those after initial zeroing, I still believe that such scope is better to be sent back on warranty than mounted canted to straighten reticle position.

In my case I first mount scope squared to rifle then I check if reticle is also squared. Unless reticle is so canted in first place that I can notice it before mounting.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Vortex GEN3, 1-10, mil/mil. I’ve no previous experience with Vortex Optics. This particular optic checks a lot of boxes for my 7.62 MLOK MWS, otherwise I’m usually Leupy leaning. First impression... it feels very robust. Glass isn’t as good as my Leupold MK8, which is exceptional. Definitely daylight bright. Magnification at 10X doesn’t seem like a significant difference compared to my MK8 1-8, but I’ve yet to side by side compare. Eye relief is significant. It’s definitely a true 1x. Definitely daylight bright. Horus style reticle is decent, but doughnut crosshair could go imho. It’s plain looking. I hate the purple-ish, burnt bronze color. I would personally prefer uncapped turrets. The dials aren’t the most pleasurable feeling, they feel lunky compared to my MK8. The magnification dial is smooth and on point, as is the illumination system. The lens caps are shit for a $2K optic. I need to decide on the mount, possibly spend some time with it to see if it’s truly what I want....

ETA: I just got my MK8 1-8 CQBSS H27d out for side by side comparison. The Glass clarity/image clarity on the MK8 is much better. On 8 power, the images in the 1-8 actually look closer, I think this is just do to image clarity, but I prefer the Leupold quite a bit more. The Vortex is much better on 1x with illumination, to be used as a red dot, however, clarity still goes to the Leupold. Overall it still feels like a fine optic for the money and the glass is good, but not great. I’m not sure how it would compare to a nightforce ATACR 1-8, but if the nightforce has better glass, I suspect my opinion would be the same. I would personally like to see someone’s opinion of a first hand comparison between a MK6 1-6 and the Vortex GEN3 1-10 as to glass quality.
    Last edited by Sabre675; 03-12-20 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    Those lens caps are for storage, they really should come with flip-up caps but they don't.

The Defender flip-up caps are pretty good.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Still very interested in this optic, seems perfect for a GP 308 16" rifle, but the ATACR/NXS/Kahles and others are viable as well.

But I'll wait until the fall to let the dust settle, as often the 'shine' wears off of the 'latest and greatest'...

Aadland is the end all be all of flip caps IMO.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Still very interested in this optic, seems perfect for a GP 308 16" rifle, but the ATACR/NXS/Kahles and others are viable as well.

But I'll wait until the fall to let the dust settle, as often the 'shine' wears off of the 'latest and greatest'...

Aadland is the end all be all of flip caps IMO.

They look legit. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Are you going to do any tracking tests?

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast