Thread: Commo guys, Baofeng setup, antennas and accessories.

Feedback Score

Commo guys, Baofeng setup, antennas and accessories.

I've tried the Nagoya 15in whip antenna, the arrabee 42in, now the diamond 15in whip and O don't get any reception from any of the after markets. The OEM gets the best reception out of all of them. What specific antenna do I need to get the best reception?

I was looking for the ATAK tablet or phone app for Android but cannot find it. What's the best app to connect the radio to a laptop, tablet or phone? Also, what cable do I need, I already may have it.

For accessories, I have the USB transformer cable, tac sky us4 PTT, car charge, bigger battery. I'm just trying to find the right antenna and cables.

What else do I need to be able to setup the radio, cables to connect to other devices and a proper antenna!?

10 years in the Outback and out of focus with new products...bear with me.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    No reception would imply a connector issue. Just not that much difference in antenna performance to create an all or nothing reception issue.

Who/what are you trying to communicate with?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    No reception would imply a connector issue. Just not that much difference in antenna performance to create an all or nothing reception issue.

Who/what are you trying to communicate with?
    I'm just trying to get the NOAA weather channel to test. With the OEM antenna the reception is 2:5. Reception with the after market antennas are 0:5.

Last edited by Rrotz; 01-06-20 at 10:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrotz View Post
    I've tried the Nagoya 15in whip antenna, the arrabee 42in, now the diamond 15in whip and O don't get any reception from any of the after markets. The OEM gets the best reception out of all of them. What specific antenna do I need to get the best reception?
    Depends on your which bands and frequency. Make sure you are tuned properly. In doubt, find an SWR Meter and test. https://www.amazon.com/Surecom-Gam3G...1551884&sr=8-5

I was looking for the ATAK tablet or phone app for Android but cannot find it. What's the best app to connect the radio to a laptop, tablet or phone? Also, what cable do I need, I already may have it.
    If you are using a baofeng, you should start with a kenwood style 2 prong to a 3.5mm cable. For programming your radio, use CHIRP from Dan Planet. Its free and fantastic.

For accessories, I have the USB transformer cable, tac sky us4 PTT, car charge, bigger battery. I'm just trying to find the right antenna and cables.

What else do I need to be able to setup the radio, cables to connect to other devices and a proper antenna!?

That really depends on what your trying to do, and on what bands, and with what equipment. Once you have an idea, I'd recommend asking a ham forum or check the comm thread.

Feedback Score
    From my experience, the longer 15 inch aftermarket antennas such as the Nagoyas seem to be better on UHF than VHF. That said, I use the 701 series on my Baofengs.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Almost every ant. will get you NOAA on a Baofeng. Agree that 'all or nothing' is not antenna related.

Go to the CHIRP site mentioned above. Do it step by step.

NOAA is the first step to realizing you have something going on.

Feedback Score
    Assuming he is in the USA to start with. If he is an Aussie, then weather transmitters might be a coastal thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioshooter View Post
    Assuming he is in the USA to start with. If he is an Aussie, then weather transmitters might be a coastal thing.
    I'm in Hawaii if that has its own transmission problems

Feedback Score
    Pinzgauer is correct in assessing the connection situation. Many of the aftermarket antennas have a slightly larger base OD that prevents seating the SMA connector. I have to use extra force to tighten the NA-701 and the NA-771 on both the UV5-R and the GT-3TP.