Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 Glocks preferred over Gen 5. Bad choice?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Gen 4 Glocks preferred over Gen 5. Bad choice?

This is a simple and direct question. Are there any objective reasons (reliability, ruggedness, etc.) to move to Gen 5 if I prefer how my Gen 4 Glocks shoot?

I have a Gen 4 G19 that I've been carrying since they were released. I have mags and spare parts for it. I want to add a backup G19 and most advise to move to two Gen 5 G19s.

I prefer the finger grooves of the Gen 4 by a huge margin. Am I making a poor choice to buy a second Gen 4 G19 and and stick with Gen 4s?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    This is a simple and direct question. Are there any objective reasons (reliability, ruggedness, etc.) to move to Gen 5 if I prefer how my Gen 4 Glocks shoot?

I have a Gen 4 G19 that I've been carrying since they were released. I have mags and spare parts for it. I want to add a backup G19 and most advise to move to two Gen 5 G19s.

I prefer the finger grooves of the Gen 4 by a huge margin. Am I making a poor choice to buy a second Gen 4 G19 and and stick with Gen 4s?
    What works for you, works for YOU. If you like the Generation 4, nothing else matters.

I have a few Generation 4 but I have been carrying a Glock 19, Gen 5. I like its trigger, ambidextrous slide release, and sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score

I think the advice you are getting must be from your salespeople at your local LGS? If the ergos of the Gen 4 suit YOU better, then the Gen 5 has very little to nothing to offer you for upgrading.

Personally the Gen 5 is the only generation of Glock that I actually like, but it's a subjective thing with each individual. The Gen 5 would give you a very slight slight increase in durability with it's better finish on the barrel and slide and that's really it IMO. If you have spare parts for your G19.4 it's a no brainer to stick with that. IMO...
    Last edited by shadowrider; 01-06-20 at 08:47.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I don’t feel that the Gen 5 offers any compelling advantage over Gen 4, and it is more economical to stay the course. I won’t be switching, and I’ve purchased a few new and used G19.4’s since the Gen 5 release.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I agree wuth 1168, i will not be switching over. I just switched from a gen 3 to gen 4 in the last year. The gen3's fit me alot better then the 4's. But i love the larger mag release on the gen4.

Feedback Score
    I've ran both and fail to see the Gen 5 doing things leaps and bounds better than the Gen 4.

If you've got the spare parts and prefer the grips on the Gen 4, I see no reason to spend the extra dough and move to the Gen 5.

Feedback Score
    Don't know if there's any data on this, but how does out-of-the-box reliability compare between Gen 4 and Gen 5?

Feedback Score

Do finger grooves feel better or offer quantified benefit?
    I would not switch, but buying new I would go 5 because its a little more accurate and the magwell is a little better.

Both are fine IMO, but I dont really notice finger grooves.

Feedback Score
    Stick with the Gen4 if it works for you. The Gen5 guns I have seen/shot were not earth shattering better. They shot like a Glock.

Good used clean Gen4's are cheap right now. If I did not already have two, I would be sorely tempted.

Feedback Score
    Weird double. Sorry

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast