Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 Glocks preferred over Gen 5. Bad choice?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If Gen 4, 3, or 5 work for you, carry the **** on.

I still have Gen 4s G19s but also have a G45 (which has Gen 5 features).

I will likely get a Gen 5 G19 without the grip cutout at some point because I like the way the G45 feels, but I have never felt the need to follow the lemmings off the cliff after every last new thing released by anyone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Nothing wrong with the 4th Gens if the finger humps fit you. The revisions to the Gen5 guns weren't done as a resolution to an issue with the previous generations, well the breech cut out was, but nothing else.

They simply redesigned some internals to make them less prone to failure than they already were, which wasn't much at all. They deleted the finger humps as there were a ton of folks that didn't like them. 95% of guns that come through my shop have them removed so I wasn't surprised.

The triggers do feel a bit better to me, but again that is going to be a personal thing. I have felt some 3rd and 4th Gen triggers that are just as nice. I do feel like the Gen5 trigger are better out of the box, but a broken in previous Gen trigger works just as well.

Personally, I find the GMB to be more accurate than the non GMB, but not by a noticeable amount to most shooters.

My wife swears by her 3rd Gen 17's and 19's and will not buy any new models.

Pick yourself up another 4th Gen and carry on. It will serve you for years, and do not feel as though your missing out on anything.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 01-06-20 at 14:25.
    Cerified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer
    NRA/LE Firearms Instructor
    ColdBoreCustom.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gen5 is better in every technical way, but only incrementally. But I still love my Gen3s.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for this thread, OP.

I have Gen 3 G19s but am of the belief (wrongly, maybe?) that Gen 5 is a better way to go. Your thread is very helpful for me.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you like the Gen4 better, stick with it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I started out with a gen 3 when I turned 21 in 2001, then gen 2, then gen 5. I skipped gen 4 altogether. Back in like 2010 when people were getting pelted in the forehead with hot brass and crying in multiple threads on a daily basis over at GT, I was out spitting brass off to the side like a boss.

Feedback Score
    If you prefer something about the Gen4 by a huge margin, then stick with Gen4. However, I would not let your supply of spare parts be a factor in the decision.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd say stick with what you're running.

I hear tell gen5 barrels are more accurate, and triggers feel better out of the box, and that's tempting.

But me, I have no use for ambi slide release, and options for changing triggers seem to be limited.

I'm liking a gen4 G19 just fine lately. Over 1,300 rounds, zero malfs. Some nice changes from the gen 2 and 3 I'm used to.

Grip texture and slimness are superb. I grind down and stiple over finger grooves on gen 3s, but have not felt the need to do that with gen 4, as the grooves are less pronounced.

For me, the gen5 doesn't offer enough over gen4 for me to make the change.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 01-13-20 at 08:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I had no Glock, Gen 5

Otherwise use what you got. I’d like a Gen 5 G19 but will wait a while.

The Gen 4s have spoiled me but I do like my Gen 3s

ETA the only thing I really like is no finger grooves

Feedback Score
    Gen 5's shoot way better for me than my Gen 4 did, so I made the switch.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast