Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 Glocks preferred over Gen 5. Bad choice?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    If I were jumping into G19's right now for the first time I'd probably go Gen 5 all the way.

But I've had a Gen 3 for 15 years now. If and when I acquire a second G19 it will be a Gen 4 for the sake of being able to share mags and parts between it and my Gen 3. And glock's finger grooves fit me perfectly.

In your case I'd probably stick with a Gen 4
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bill460 View Post
    All 7 of my Glock's are Gen 3. I like the finger grooves, (I know a lot of people hate them). More importantly is mine are all Austrian built, Tennifer coated. I'm hearing the new finish is not as durable, or rust free. I have no idea if that's true or not. But you all but never heard of anything involving rust on Glock's, until they started building them here, and changed the finish.
    No, my 3rd gen G23 was made in Jan of '06, in Austria, and I've experienced rust on a couple of "trouble spots" on the slide, at times over the years, in the summer. It happens, nothing is totally impervious to everything.

Indeed, I've been disappointed in the weakness of the finish on my gen4 G19, but I don't care too much, it started out as a "working gun" from day one, and hasn't let me down. Looks like I've put two years of wear on it though, in less than a year.

But I decided long ago that this type of wear is not a scar, it's a badge of honor, for a gun like this. It shows that you've shot the heck out it, and it's been there with you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    No, my 3rd gen G23 was made in Jan of '06, in Austria, and I've experienced rust on a couple of "trouble spots" on the slide, at times over the years, in the summer......
    Just curious, was the Tennifer worn in the areas where you experienced the rust?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The tenifer doesn't wear, it's a surface treatment in the metal itself. Not the same as the black finish.

No, these were trouble spots that got sweated on. Got scrubbed, black worn, and those spots get coated preemptively now.

I haven't put any rust on the gen4, and probably won't as I know where the trouble spots will be. Just drawing, shooting, carrying, training with, and generally bangin' around is making the gen4 look like I've had it alot longer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm a Gen 3 guy.... but jumped on Gen 5 because I like and always wanted the front slide serrations. once they added those and ditched the front strap cut out, I was all in...
    So far, It's been great and I like my Gen 5 G19... never had a Gen 4.... not ever planning on it...

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I don’t feel that the Gen 5 offers any compelling advantage over Gen 4, and it is more economical to stay the course. I won’t be switching, and I’ve purchased a few new and used G19.4’s since the Gen 5 release.
    My first time disagreeing with 1168!

I have found I shoot the Gen5 significantly better than Gens 2-4. By significant, I mean going from 5" groups at 25y to 3". Faster splits. Better "feel" (subjective)

I am a Glock19 Fanboy, and I will never again carry or buy a Glock Gen2-4.

In fact, I have a G19.4 that is milled for an RMR, and I sent a Gen5 to the same machinist (L&M) to give me a Gen5 with the same RMR.

They are that much better for me.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I feel the gen 4 will become the forgotten generation. IMO the gen 5 is better in every way (unless you prefer finger grooves)
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    My first time disagreeing with 1168!

I have found I shoot the Gen5 significantly better than Gens 2-4. By significant, I mean going from 5" groups at 25y to 3". Faster splits. Better "feel" (subjective)

I am a Glock19 Fanboy, and I will never again carry or buy a Glock Gen2-4.

In fact, I have a G19.4 that is milled for an RMR, and I sent a Gen5 to the same machinist (L&M) to give me a Gen5 with the same RMR.

They are that much better for me.
    Funny story. I shot a G17.5 last night back to back with my beater G19.4 in Dot Torture, and some drills. I was significantly more precise with the 17.5 in Dot Torture. Other drills inconclusive, and I did not have my timer with me. Stock sights, trigger, etc on both. Different backstraps and ammo.

I’ll have to play with apples vs apples some more on a timer. It is possible I have been wrong all along, and if so, I will miss finger grooves while I eat crow. I’m still not convinced, though, and the difference will have to be worthwhile. It’ll probably be 6 months or more before I come to a conclusion.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Funny story. I shot a G17.5 last night back to back with my beater G19.4 in Dot Torture, and some drills. I was significantly more precise with the 17.5 in Dot Torture. Other drills inconclusive, and I did not have my timer with me. Stock sights, trigger, etc on both. Different backstraps and ammo.

I’ll have to play with apples vs apples some more on a timer. It is possible I have been wrong all along, and if so, I will miss finger grooves while I eat crow. I’m still not convinced, though, and the difference will have to be worthwhile. It’ll probably be 6 months or more before I come to a conclusion.
    Even if it takes 6 months, come back with your conclusions. Very interested to hear.

Without having the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure if I was just a casual shooter (I know you are not, but others reading this may be) I would be able to get the benefits out of the Gen5 to justify the expenditure to switch. Further, I'm not sure I would consider replacing a functional/quality Gen3 or 4 with a Gen 5 even if I was able to get those benefits.

However, I will say again that the Gen5 G19 is by far and away the best G19 in almost every respect (Accuracy, trigger pull, ergonomics). Hell, even GTF425 agrees!
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Even if it takes 6 months, come back with your conclusions. Very interested to hear.

Without having the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure if I was just a casual shooter (I know you are not, but others reading this may be) I would be able to get the benefits out of the Gen5 to justify the expenditure to switch. Further, I'm not sure I would consider replacing a functional/quality Gen3 or 4 with a Gen 5 even if I was able to get those benefits.

However, I will say again that the Gen5 G19 is by far and away the best G19 in almost every respect (Accuracy, trigger pull, ergonomics). Hell, even GTF425 agrees!
    It’s not always about you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast