Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Gen 4 Glocks preferred over Gen 5. Bad choice?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    It’s not always about you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Neat.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Even if it takes 6 months, come back with your conclusions. Very interested to hear.

Without having the benefit of hindsight, I'm not sure if I was just a casual shooter (I know you are not, but others reading this may be) I would be able to get the benefits out of the Gen5 to justify the expenditure to switch. Further, I'm not sure I would consider replacing a functional/quality Gen3 or 4 with a Gen 5 even if I was able to get those benefits.

However, I will say again that the Gen5 G19 is by far and away the best G19 in almost every respect (Accuracy, trigger pull, ergonomics). Hell, even GTF425 agrees!
    Agree on all. I'm a little more than a casual shooter (few thousand rounds a year) and I shoot my Gen 5s marginally better than Gen 3s. The Gen 5s just happened to come out long after I'd sold all of my Glocks, save for an all-Austrian 19.3, and I was testing out various other brands to see if I shot them better than Gen 3 Glocks. Bought an early 19.5 with the cutout that annoyed my pinky too much so I sold it. I liked everything else about the gun enough that I bought a 19X, a 17.5 and a 26.5 Subjectively for me, without the cutout, the 19.5 would be the best all-around gun. VP9 would be a close second, but all of my handgun gunsmithing knowledge and parts is Glock, so I went back to simplicity, but mainly because with the Gen 5s I don't feel like I'm giving up any performance compared to something like the VP9.

That said, if I had a perfectly functional Gen 4 that I shot well and I was only looking at a straight up replacement, I don't think there's enough to justify it if money is a major factor. If you have the money to blow, then by all means get the Gen 5, because it is an improvement - I would say the level of improvement is more subjective, though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    My gen 5 g17 has a very short chamber/leade, so handloads that plunk perfectly fine in my gen 4 will not chamber in the gen 5.

I shoot my gen 5 more accurately than my gen 4. Honestly it’s a tossup, since I feel my gen 4 would have a better chance at eating all Ammo vs the g5

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Gen 5 breach face cutout is worth the upgrade to gen 5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    My gen 5 g17 has a very short chamber/leade, so handloads that plunk perfectly fine in my gen 4 will not chamber in the gen 5.
    I am familiar with something like you describe, occurring within some specific parameters.

"Plunk perfectly" and "will not chamber" may not associate.
    The plunk test may be indicative of nothing.

Do your handloads plunk in the gen5?
    What does "will not chamber" mean? At all? Difference in dry handling vs live fire?
    Does it extract, and with what effort?
    Have you measured/cast your chamber, what is your distance from breechface to rifling?

What is the nominal OAL of your handload?
    What particular bullet(s) are you handloading?
    Describe your crimp.
    What is your experience handloading?

Does an assortment of domestically produced cartridges meeting SAAMI spec from a major manufacturer plunk in the gen4 and your gen5?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    "Plunk perfectly" and "will not chamber" may not associate.
    Do your handloads plunk in the gen5?
    What does "will not chamber" mean? At all? Difference in dry handling vs live fire?
    Does it extract, and with what effort?
    Have you measured/cast your chamber, what is your distance from breechface to rifling?

What is the nominal OAL of your handload?
    What particular bullet(s) are you handloading?
    What is your experience handloading?

Does an assortment of domestically produced cartridges meeting SAAMI spec from a major manufacturer plunk in the gen4 and your gen5?
    Normal hand load is a 147 gr coated rn from blue bullets loaded to 1.15.
    Started reloading 124 gr gold dots at 1.12 and those would not plunk in the g5 until I got it down to around 1.08.

147 gr Handload will not plunk in g5 barrel. What I meant by will not chamber is slide will not fully return to battery, about 1/16 to 1/8 short.

Haven’t measured chamber. I’ve been reloading handgun for about 7 years @ 8k or 9k per year.

Factory ammo I have shot feeds and fires with no issues, will also plunk both barrels.

Not trying to bash g5, I think it’s overall an improvement to an already fantastic pistol design and worth the price of admission. Just sharing my experience with it compared to the g4

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I reload also.

I would submit that if all factory ammo has chambered properly in that barrel, the problem lies solely with that particular hand load, and is not a reflection on the barrel, per se.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    Gen 5 breach face cutout is worth the upgrade to gen 5
    Having shot Gen5s since '17, I have come to the conclusion that the breechface cut is the only upgrade.

If I could go back a couple years, all mt Glocks would be Gen3.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Having shot Gen5s since '17, I have come to the conclusion that the breechface cut is the only upgrade.

If I could go back a couple years, all mt Glocks would be Gen3.
    The entire gun is an upgrade. The only changes I’d make are to get rid of the hump entirely (different back strap system would be needed, I understand why they didn’t go this route, more complex) and actually put an undercut into the trigger guard. With the newest iteration of the Gen5s with front serrations and no stupid moon cut, they are perfect, although mags should come stock with the Vickie’s baseplate due to the flare at the bottom of the grip.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That halfmoon cutout in the front was there to give you a way to pull out a stuck mag.

I like my Gen5s, but the triggers don't stay nice and slick like they are when they're new. The two I shoot the most have gotten rough and heavier than when they were new. I'm not sold on the coil trigger spring.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast