Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to suppressors-what to look for in a barrel?

Feedback Score

New to suppressors-what to look for in a barrel?

I don’t really know jack about suppressors but intend to get a huxwrx flow 5.56 and build a pinned 14.5” rifle for it.
    I have everything for it but the barrel and I’ve never chosen a barrel for this use.
    Are there any special considerations for the longevity and accuracy of the barrel for suppressed use?
    Normally I’d go with a criterion Core series but I simply can’t find them anywhere. Other recommendations?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just twist rate and gas port size. A 7 or 8 twist will allow you to shoot anything up to 90 gr bullets. Port size is harder to get right. Sionics is the only company that I know of who actively addressed over-gassing with their RGB and ERGP barrels.

But really, you can fix the gas nightmare with a BRT Eztune gas tube. They work really well. We run several for suppressed guns.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can also get an adjustable gas block to help tune the gas volume to meet your needs.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Also, I personally avoid Nitride/QPQ/Melonite barrels. Too much American Mediocrity in the process for me to roll the dice on them. We had an Effed up barrel from those retards at FAXON. Pushing a bullet through a suppressor makes Chrome lined or SS my preference.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Just twist rate and gas port size. A 7 or 8 twist will allow you to shoot anything up to 90 gr bullets. Port size is harder to get right. Sionics is the only company that I know of who actively addressed over-gassing with their RGB and ERGP barrels.

But really, you can fix the gas nightmare with a BRT Eztune gas tube. They work really well. We run several for suppressed guns.
    So basically it’s the same as choosing any other barrel outside of tuning for gas (big plus for the flow through suppressor).
    Any BCM/Criterion/DD barrel is going to be fine.

Feedback Score
    Also, I personally avoid Nitride/QPQ/Melonite barrels. Too much American Mediocrity in the process for me to roll the dice on them. We had an Effed up barrel from those retards at FAXON. Pushing a bullet through a suppressor makes Chrome lined or SS my preference.
    Why would chrome-lined versus nitrided make any difference in terms of suppressed use?
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Why would chrome-lined versus nitrided make any difference in terms of suppressed use?
    The barrel acted like it was shot out. The nitride barrel was horribly inaccurate, and I never put a can on a shitty barrel for fear of baffle strikes. The losers at Faxon told PB that the barrel looked like it had 10k rounds thru it, when there was a few hundred.

Nitride itself isn't bad. American slop and lazy approach to doing it right is the root of my distrust.
    Last edited by markm; 06-29-23 at 13:10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The whole point of getting a huxworx can is that you don’t have to worry about tuning the gun to run suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    The whole point of getting a huxworx can is that you don’t have to worry about tuning the gun to run suppressed.
    If that's true, then any good brand barrel is fine. BCM, Colt, Sionics, DD, whatever.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If that's true, then any good brand barrel is fine. BCM, Colt, Sionics, DD, whatever.
    Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast