Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New KAC Suppressors: Pressure Reduction Technology

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I have 2 on order. Basically the same kind of design OSS uses, which will be the standard 5-8 years from now. Defiantly not the quietest suppressor but will last longer than most other suppressors in same class. POI on my KAC QDC 556 is roughly 13" at 100 yards- compared to about 20" from my AAC M4.

I have a few KAC suppressors and they are designed great and built to last. Heavier than a Silencer Co Omega, Saker, AAC Mini4, SD and a Surefire Socom RC II. One draw back is that KAC is generally $300-450 more in cost and honestly, I don't know what the reason is. All my suppressors (17) have the same quality and approximately weight/size. I will say the AAC, SilencerCo, ASR and Surefire have the best mounting systems. I have broken the index pin on 2 KAC MAMS.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    I have 2 on order. Basically the same kind of design OSS uses, which will be the standard 5-8 years from now. Defiantly not the quietest suppressor but will last longer than most other suppressors in same class. POI on my KAC QDC 556 is roughly 13" at 100 yards- compared to about 20" from my AAC M4.

I have a few KAC suppressors and they are designed great and built to last. Heavier than a Silencer Co Omega, Saker, AAC Mini4, SD and a Surefire Socom RC II. One draw back is that KAC is generally $300-450 more in cost and honestly, I don't know what the reason is. All my suppressors (17) have the same quality and approximately weight/size. I will say the AAC, SilencerCo, ASR and Surefire have the best mounting systems. I have broken the index pin on 2 KAC MAMS.
    Jesus. What hack threaded your barrels? I thought my Noveske with 8moa shift and a proven g2g surefire can was bad! 20moa! Insane.

Also note that the KAC QDC weighs less than a surefire socom RC2. I dunno about the others as I dont own any gen of them.

The lower backpressure of OSS and the cans they inspired is a nice benefit, but every one of those cans has an cleaning schedule. That part really gets at me. I know we've all seen the cutaway of the 100k round NT4 that's newrly packed solid with copper and carbon. I weigh my cans regularly, and even with soaking in CLR for 48hrs, a minimal amount of fouling is removed. One of my Surefire cans is up about 4oz after 6500rds or so. I am concerned for these small passageways in the flow through type cans. In a military supply chain, the can can be tied to the barrel and replaced on the same schedule. For civilian ownership, "permanence" becomes a much bigger issue.

That is the #1 factor keeping me from going OSS or salivating for this new KAC to drop for us civvies. Conventional cans are a known quantity, the QDC is already low backpressure, lighter, and suppresses better.

KAC costs more because of government contracts and pricing structure/agreements. They also tend to put a very comprehensive amount of R&D into stuff. An example is the NT4. It came out many moons ago. It's still viable even if dated. OSS on the other hand is on gen 7? now, and catastrophic failures define the earlier gens. Same story for Surefire on cost, RD, etc. You have an extremely high likelihood of getting a complete, functional product, from KAC, SF, etc. that has had the gremlins worked out prior to you even knowing it exists.
    Last edited by WS6; 01-16-20 at 03:40.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post

13” at 100 yards is the largest I have ever heard of.
    I am also concerned that you are shearing the pin on your muzzle device.
    I would be highly suspect on that installation and would advise that you have it looked it.

ETA: the KAC design has 0% in common with the OSS design other than that a projectile passes through and they attach to the muzzle.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I’m confused. What does 13’ at 100 yards mean? Edumacate me. And compared to 20’ on AAC.

I too am a heavy Stamp Collector.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I’m confused. What does 13’ at 100 yards mean? Edumacate me. And compared to 20’ on AAC.

PB
    I really should have asked that. I assumed it was POI shift, but that could be an error on my part.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    FWIW: POI shift with most KAC QDC suppressors is less than 1.5 MOA.
    Some .300 BLK is weird with the original 762QDC, but those are not product-line indicative.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Cool. Can I get one before Mid-2021 (Form 3 & 4 wait time included) or will this be vaporware?

Don't worry. My gripe is not KAC specific. Any suppressors released at SHOT seemingly never make to the market, so it's hard to give a shit. If they do, it's several years later.

I have money and I would purchase a 5.56 can right now. Does KAC want it or nah? Not a fan of letting someone hold my money for a year just to be like "oops, QC issues.". (Again, not KAC specific but it's now a personal rule due to being burned by ****tards in the gun industry at SHOT consistently from 2011-2013.)
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-16-20 at 17:08.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Duplicate post.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    What does 13’ at 100 yards mean? Edumacate me. And compared to 20’ on AAC.
    13" brother. 13' would be outrageous.

FWIW, I keep all my stamps in a binder inside of the plastic sheets for easy access. Just pop open binder and take out relevant sheets for range.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    13" brother. 13' would be outrageous.

FWIW, I keep all my stamps in a binder inside of the plastic sheets for easy access. Just pop open binder and take out relevant sheets for range.
    I keep mine in plastic sheets as well, but they never leave my safe. I have considered making photocopies and put into my shooting truck. Or taking pictures on my phone and save in a file. but it just hasn't happened.

So what does the 13" mean? The 20" mean? Is it shooting 13 inch groups, or dropping 13 inches or regardless it sounds insane.

My KAC can had very little POI effect. I may test it on Sunday for shits and giggles.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast