Thread: Sig P226 and Glock G19

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Sig P226 and Glock G19

I own both of these and figured I’d sell of the older, German-made P226 and use the pesos to fund a Gen 5 Glock (I only own Gen 3s right now). I just haven’t been shooting the Sig.

But then I figured I should spend some more time with it first, just to be sure ... and then later decided I was nuts to think about letting it go.

I’m not a great shooter at all but I do somewhat better with the G19 than P226; OTOH I confess to a glaring lack of 226 practice.

I guess I underestimated the appeal of a hammer-fired pistol.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    226s are real good shooting pistols. If you like it, keep it. Add the other 19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Excellent advice, will do.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    226s are overpriced pistols. If you don’t like it, sell it. Buy more ammo for your 19s.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Doing the same thing right now. I have a small stash of 226s that I picked up many years ago. Plan on selling two of the early German ones because Sig no longer supports them and I don't really shoot them anymore, along with a 2022, and keeping the "newer" frame made in Germany ones. The one that no longer needs a locking block.

Meanwhile I'm on looking for a used gen5 that has night sights and lacks the grip cutout. Seems like even the new ones around here have that cutout

All my Sigs came as police trades. I think the three 226s and the 2022 cost less than one Legion
    Last edited by Arik; 01-07-20 at 06:43.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    At one time I had 225, 225 Police (euro mag release) 226 and 228 all W. German models pre '94

All have been sold.

I occasionally miss them for nostalgic reasons or as examples of mid-80s small arms tech feels … but I've never missed shooting them.

If they go away and are replaced by a stable of G19s that is a good thing if defense is your primary purpose.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    All i can do is share my approach, being in a similar position once.

What is “your pistol”? The one you train and carry? Stick with that. If you want a fun gun, it should be what you really want. Would you rather have the sig, or a 2011, or cz? If you keep every gun you like, you will keep second guessing and start chasing gear instead of skills... at least I found I do that, so I just stick with [multiple of one standard “platform”] for each type of gun(pistol, rifle), and have 1 “fun gun” for each. Ymmv.

Edited [...] for clarity
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-07-20 at 21:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    All i can do is share my approach, being in a similar position once.

What is “your pistol”? The one you train and carry? Stick with that. If you want a fun gun, it should be what you really want. Would you rather have the sig, or a 2011, or cz? If you keep every gun you like, you will keep second guessing and start chasing gear instead of skills... at least I found I do that, so I just stick with 1 of each type of gun, and have 1 “fun gun”. Ymmv.
    Sound planning. You’re very wise.

Edit: to avoid chasing the proverbial dragon - for personal and family defense purposes - how many of each handgun and carbine is ideal vs. too many? 1 of each + 1 for a spare? More?

I am guilty of the “more gear than practice,” behavior, I confess ...
    Last edited by Buncheong; 01-07-20 at 19:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for the insightful replies, Gentlemen. Your time and perspectives are all greatly appreciated!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Sound planning. You’re very wise.

Edit: to avoid chasing the proverbial dragon - for personal and family defense purposes - how many of each handgun and carbine is ideal vs. too many? 1 of each + 1 for a spare? More?

I am guilty of the “more gear than practice,” behavior, I confess ...
    Standard is 2. One training/hard use, one for carry/hd.
    Example: 2 g19s. One for dry/live practice, one for carry/competition. Once the trainer gets replaced, the replacement gets broke in/verified, then becomes the carry/comp gun and old carry gun becomes the trainer. The more you shoot and practice, the more this helps. Dry practice does wear out guns.