Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The SA Hellcat . . . trigger problem?

Feedback Score
    Thanks, Skip!
    BCM RECCE-16 ELW Aimpoint T2, Scalarworks 1.92
    You need to be, not seem to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a new Hellcat, and yes, I’ve experienced that exact problem. My first trip to the range my daughter said, “Dad, I can’t pull the trigger.” It is indeed caused if you pull the trigger to the left while pulling back. A lot of dry firing has 'lessened' the problem, but it’s still not 100% snag free. This isn’t a problem with my G43. I’ve got an inquiry in to Springfield.
    Last edited by Condition Yellow; 04-01-20 at 12:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Bone View Post
    Well, I found one at Academy and the sales person was kind enough to remove the trigger lock. I was unable to reproduce the problem. Apparently, not universal but may be unique to a subset of guns.
    I amazed that they took the trigger lock off. Anytime I ask - they claim they will ONLY do it if you buy the gun. I refuse to buy a gun I can't dry fire at least 1x

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Condition Yellow View Post
    I have a new Hellcat, and yes, I’ve experienced that exact problem. My first trip to the range my daughter said, “Dad, I can’t pull the trigger.” It is indeed caused if you pull the trigger to the left while pulling back. A lot of dry firing has 'lessened' the problem, but it’s still not 100% snag free. This isn’t a problem with my G43. I’ve got an inquiry in to Springfield.
    Hopefully, it'll be a simple fix. Let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    I amazed that they took the trigger lock off. Anytime I ask - they claim they will ONLY do it if you buy the gun. I refuse to buy a gun I can't dry fire at least 1x
    Yeah, I'm with you.

Same thing happened the other day with a P365XL at Academy (different sales person). He removed the trigger lock and I found I hated the new flat trigger. Not only did I not like the trigger pull but good luck getting your finger inside the trigger guard with gloves on. Way too small.
    Last edited by Mean Bone; 04-02-20 at 11:45.

Feedback Score
    I have only put about 250+ rounds of both ball and hollow point (124 & 147g) through my Hellcat, but it has not even burped much less malfunctioned. It replaced my G43 and Shield v2.0 for edc, and I find it a lot more pleasant to shoot than my G43 was. I like the sight combination better than any other sights that I have tried. Having 11+1 or 13+1 in such a small comfortable package has worked well for me. Maybe my fingers are too big to push on just the trigger edge? The build quality of the pistol is nice and I trust it's parts a lot more than I do the current SiG MiM parts and QC. YMMV
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    - George Washington

"Some of you would bitch if a hot blonde served you a perfect steak and beer of choice while naked and performed acts not described." Mark5pt56

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got about 500 rds through mine, I havent had any issues with the trigger but recently shot with a coworker who does. I think the trigger press is likely the issue. I threw a mantis on his gun and he was jerking the trigger hard down and to the left. I havent disassembled the lower however I wonder if the dingus in the middle is slightly longer on some or if they compressed space just makes folks who pull left more likely to lock it up?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here was their response:

“The Hellcat™ employs a proven trigger safety mechanism that is used in many of today’s most trusted firearms. When the trigger safety lever that is incorporated into the trigger is not engaged, it blocks the trigger from moving rearward. The trigger safety is also designed to minimize the risk of the pistol firing if dropped, or firing if the trigger is exposed to any movement that is not a direct firing pull.

The trigger safety in the Hellcat functions as designed and we have done extensive testing to ensure its reliability and safety. Not only has it been proven by hundreds of respected members of the firearms community, the Hellcat™ has recently been awarded approval for law enforcement use by the National Tactical Officers Association and received their highest Gold rating.

As with any firearm, it is important to familiarize yourself with the safe operation of the firearm before any use, including for self-defense purposes. Additionally, engaging in proper and regular training for those who carry firearms for personal and self-defense is highly recommended.

The safety of our customers is of the utmost importance to Springfield Armory, and we design all of our firearms to hold this high standard.

If you think there might be a flaw in the trigger guard area please contact customer service.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.”

CODE- “It’s you, not the trigger.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A diagnostic step for many gun malfunctions is to have someone else shoot it and see what it does. If it continues to have issues talk to SA and see what can be done.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Condition Yellow View Post
    Here was their response:

“The Hellcat™ employs a proven trigger safety mechanism that is used in many of today’s most trusted firearms. . . .

CODE- “It’s you, not the trigger.”

Thanks for sharing that.
    Last edited by Mean Bone; 04-06-20 at 07:51.

Feedback Score
    Took my new Hellcat out and fired about 250 rds. About 70 jhp.

No stoppages.

- Last shot hold open only happened half the time. Not sure if it's the two mags I had, the gun, or if I'm pressing on the lever during firing.

- While I can replicate the lock up pressing the trigger blade to the side it's not an issue while firing and fixable with a small file if it was.

- Recoil is sort of Glock 27-like. After 250 rds my thumb web was about done though not bleeding.

- The biggest problem was my trigger finger getting pinched either on the blade or more likely between the trigger tip and guard. I could tell at 50rds it was happening and by 250 it was a blister and I was done anyway.

- The gun shot high. 6-8 inches at 25 yes with 115 gr fmj and jhp's. Otherwise the sights are very nice. I may file down the rear sight some.

- I only had Wolf left for accuracy testing. Freehand standing 10 rds at 25 yds 7.75 in group. I'll try again with a selection of ammo.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-20-21 at 09:52.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast