Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Practical draw and shoot drills from concealement?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    “A” zone of IPSC or IDPA target.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    “A” zone of IPSC or IDPA target.
    Ok. I use a similar target sometimes.

I like it better because the A zone includes the narrow portion of important things between the heart and head.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Ok. I use a similar target sometimes.

I like it better because the A zone includes the narrow portion of important things between the heart and head.
    A full ipsc target is great - they sell paper ones for pretty cheap.
    One you get into it, after 10-20rds you can see patterns and adjust. Just say you are getting low a’s and c’s or low d’s, with video, you can see what is causing those misses.

What cell phone do you have?
    Iphones 5 and newer (or comparable samsungs)have slow-mo capability. And friends or range buddies with one?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-07-20 at 21:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    A full ipsc target is great - they sell paper ones for pretty cheap.
    One you get into it, after 10-20rds you can see patterns and adjust. Just say you are getting low a’s and c’s or low d’s, with video, you can see what is causing those misses.

What cell phone do you have?
    Iphones 5 and newer (or comparable samsungs)have slow-mo capability. And friends or range buddies with one?
    S8. My friends, when I can get them to a range, dont record stuff either. They have phones of course. But no-one I see outside of work is a video/go-pro person.

I've taken two selfies in my life. 😬

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    You're my kind of guy Ron. ( :

A lifetime ago we used video camera's to film us shooting.
    It, while agonizing to watch, was quite revealing as to your deficits/faults. Frequently I was in total denial, or complete disbelief over how long it took to get my gun presented and to begin shooting.....
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check this out from Gabe White: http://www.gabewhitetraining.com/tec...-skills-tests/

We use four simple drills for our Technical Skills Testing. These are both simple stand-and-shoot drills that we use as vehicles for pushing our technical skills, and also resemble simple, credible engagement sequences for a single attacker in self-defense. The drills we use are:
    • The Bill Drill (six shots to the body)
    • Failure to Stop (two shots to the body and one shot to the head)
    • Immediate Incapacitation (two shots to the head)
    • The Split Bill Drill (four shots to the body and two shots to the head)
    Simple to set up and execute, repeatable, quantifiable, and you can shoot them as much or as little as your ammo budget allows.

2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Check this out from Gabe White: http://www.gabewhitetraining.com/tec...-skills-tests/

Simple to set up and execute, repeatable, quantifiable, and you can shoot them as much or as little as your ammo budget allows.]
    Those look good. Familiar with some of them.

As for my time to first shot, I'm sure I'm losing .25-.75 moving cover garment, another .25 due to the DA trigger, and a little is lost due to using a smaller gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    S8. My friends, when I can get them to a range, dont record stuff either. They have phones of course. But no-one I see outside of work is a video/go-pro person.

I've taken two selfies in my life. ��
    This should get you going. I just prop my phone on the berm or range bag next to me, or in front of me.
    Video paired with a shot timer has helped my shooting immensely and is highly recommended.

Video: https://youtu.be/esedCuYTQPc

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    This should get you going. I just prop my phone on the berm or range bag next to me, or in front of me.
    Video paired with a shot timer has helped my shooting immensely and is highly recommended.

Video: https://youtu.be/esedCuYTQPc
    Whoa! I didnt know the camera had those extra functions. I've only used "picture" and "video".

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Did some pocket draw work today.

Went as expected. Starting with my hand on my pocket gun is the fastest draw. Starting with my hands at my sides basically takes twice as long and would be much worse with movement.

In order of speed based on my playing around drawing concealed compact / subcompact guns: Hand on pocket gun, then belt draw, then going for a pocket gun.

I'll bet it's the same for most people.

Also, there wasnt much difference in draw w/2 shots on target between .38 and milder .357 magnums (Golden Saber and Critical Duty) In the LCR. However the 180 gr Federal SJHP did add about .2 to .3 seconds consistently. Those guys kick pretty hard.

Speed winner was the Beretta Jetfire, if starting with it in hand cocked in pocket. 1.0 s sometimes less for 2 good hits at 3 yds. 1.2s at 7 yds, 1.7 s at 15 yds.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-14-20 at 20:20.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12