Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chiappa Gen2 M4 22lr free floating how to?

Feedback Score
    Some of you might ask yourself 'Why did you buy a Chiappa? A rifle made from Polymer and relatively bad reputation ." I know, I do too.

....But it was too good of a deal (less than $200 brand new shipped/taxed), plus 'plastic' is not as big of a thorn in my eye, especially on a .22lr, as it might be to some of you. -It is not like I am taking this to war, I won't be dragging it through mud, there is no risk of it falling from a cliff or getting smashed up anywhere.
    I would have never bought the original M4 from Chiappa, but in their Gen2 version they have worked out bugs and upgraded certain things over the years, it also came with a 1/2x28 threaded barrel and 'upgraded' hand guard.
    I simply did not want to spend 2-3x the amount of money for a .22 CMMG build that I could achieve with this CHEAPAPA, lol.

I do have the S&W M&P 15-22 Pro Series as well, but reason I also bought a Chiappa is that at least all its internals can be switched to a mil-spec uppper/lower, try that with the M&P 15-22... good luck! So the turd can be polished...

But why polish a turd? -Why not?
    Does it have to 'look' like a turd, or can you throw cheap (but better than factory) stuff on it and make it look a little better... Like mentioned before, I have a forged aluminium upper on hand and Chiappas internals swap right over, also the free float handguard I purchased fits perfectly, no issues when it comes to upgrading Chiappas receivers, I just need an aluminium lower eventually to make it all fit together without any modifications.
    Chiappa sells .22 conversion kits that will snap right on to your 5.56 Mil-Spec receiver, I purchased a complete rifle assembled from them as it was cheaper than the conversion kit, but in reality I did not know that the assembled rifles receivers are slightly different dimensions than a mil-spec, where as their conversion kit comes with an upper that will fit on a mil-spec lower, it is designed to do that.
    I can still swap all internals into better receivers eventually, just not put Chiappas 'assembled .22' on to a mil-spec.

BlaBlaBla I could go on...

Now to the designing part:

-I found a 3d print file online that looks somewhat like my handguard
    -I measured the gap between my upper& free float handguard and some other dimensions of the handguard.
    -I cut the 3d print handguard from the file apart on the computer and added some stuff
    -My 'test' prints center hole and edges where WAYYY to big to hold in place like I wanted it to be.
    -So I redesigned the hole so when I tighten down the barrel nut of my free float guard, it will slightly 'squish' it into place (by the nut& between receivers) while everything is TIGHT, incl. the barrel.
    -Took me 3 prints to get it to look like this, ~25mins a print, so quick and easy testing. I could get better results if I made the triangle of my designed part shorter, as I had to sand about 3mm down to make it look like I wanted it to. But I am happy as it looks 1000x better. I also lightly sanded it to make it less shiny. This part was printed with PETG as it is more durable, impact resistant, thermal resistant than PLA.

Here is a picture of my 'spacer' design in the print software
    6.jpg

From the Side
    4.jpg

From the top
    2.jpg

Rifle in full

3.jpg

1.jpg

Again... this plastic spacer I had to design ONLY for the Chiappa's factory upper receiver. Once I upgrade to mil-spec my free-float handguard nut sits how it should on the aluminium upper receiver, so I won't have to add plastic to it.

*Barrel shroud is also 3D printed with PETG and 1/2x28 threads. I live in Canada, so suppressors are illegal, therefore barrel shroud for looks.

Not a bad looking turd, right?

If you want more pictures of the design let me know of which parts, I'll try my best to help someone out with the same dilemma.
    Last edited by Bossmode; 01-08-20 at 09:46.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Interesting. Thanks.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I slightly redesigned it some more to make it less 'bulky', took me a few tries but now it fits& looks even better with minimal fitting, she's tight and won't move. Looks like it almost belongs there now.

Before, without:
    DSC07543.jpg

Now with spacer:
    DSC07545.jpg
    DSC07546.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12