Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: French Army goes Glock...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I wonder if this will translate to surplus SP2009/2022s.

They are actually not bad little guns and I’m not a sig person. If I were to buy a normal sig it’d be a 229
    Screw the SP2022, I'd kill for a MAC 1950, which they still issue in small numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Very true. In general, generalisms are a bad idea.

And this is our mistake... American impressions of the French are largely due to Parisians. For sure the stereotypes are.

It's as ignorant as basing the definition of an American on someone from NYC or Newark.

Per french that I know and work with, have worked with... Parisians don't think they are better than the US, they think they are better than everyone. Same imperious arrogance that New Yorkers have. Or LA, or SF. Probably more of a big city thing.

France is fairly large, with very distinct regional cultures. Different dialects, food, mannerisms.

So in many aspects with our biases, we are confirming the Parisian perception that we are ignorant, poorly traveled, and arrogant, blind to our faults.

The French in general don't hate the US even if they disagree with our various politics. It's more we are the sibling with unrealized potential. Or the unpolished redneck uncle at the family dinner.

I also understand some of their concerns about cultural imperialism and it's impacts. I used to think this was just liberal thinking, but having spent more time in France and Italy I see it's really a concern about local businesses, shops, quality of food, etc. Is it really a good thing if McDonald's or Walmart displaces local businesses? if one restaurant open 7 days a week, then the other restaurants have to. So now the family restaurant has to take on more employees to cover it where before it was just Mom and Pop and their unmarried daughter. I see some of the logic and its impacts. I also see the lines of French at McDonald's and Burger Kings and have eaten there in-country myself at times because it was convenient basic consistent food.

I'm not a France apologist. Like visiting but have no desire to live there as a citizen. But I've also been in France, Italy and Germany enough and long enough that I recognize if there are some things that they figured out that we might have missed. And vice versa. And that we are guilty of many of the same stereotypes we apply to them.

Parisians are the New Yorkers of France!
    Couldn't agree more. The French outside of Paris are outstanding people and are very appreciative of Americans.

As for their weapons choice, France was one of the last holdouts with a state-owned small arms manufacturer. Even the proud French had to cede that private enterprise can usually do it better.

Feedback Score
    I believe France was the last major military to adopt a new bolt-action rifle (MAS 36?).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I believe France was the last major military to adopt a new bolt-action rifle (MAS 36?).
    I wouldn't say it was the last, as the No 5 Enfield came later. And it should be remembered that the MAS 36 was supposed to be a backup carbine for non-combat troops and got pushed into being the primary rifle due to delays in developing a semi-auto.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Spain with the FR8 actually.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    France was the third major country to adopt a general issue semi-automatic rifle, after the US and Soviet Union. But war were declared before it actually became general issue and France surrendered before significant numbers could make it into combat.

Supposedly the small numbers captured by the Germans and the apparent similarity of the machines used to manufacture the MAS-36 bolt action and the MAS-40 semi-automatic (and French workers sneaking out machinery to make MAS-40s) led the German army to overlook the MAS-40 - which is probably a good thing, because the last thing the allies needed were Wehrmacht soldiers with reliable, accurate semi-automatic rifles.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    France was the third major country to adopt a general issue semi-automatic rifle, after the US and Soviet Union. But war were declared before it actually became general issue and France surrendered before significant numbers could make it into combat.

Supposedly the small numbers captured by the Germans and the apparent similarity of the machines used to manufacture the MAS-36 bolt action and the MAS-40 semi-automatic (and French workers sneaking out machinery to make MAS-40s) led the German army to overlook the MAS-40 - which is probably a good thing, because the last thing the allies needed were Wehrmacht soldiers with reliable, accurate semi-automatic rifles.
    France actually adopted a semi automatic rifle and fielded over 80,000 of them in World war one. They were also the first country to adopt a rifle using smokeless powder. France has always been at the forefront of weapons design even if their guns were distinctly... French. It is a shame that they now have to turn to the Germans.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_ski View Post
    France actually adopted a semi automatic rifle and fielded over 80,000 of them in World war one. They were also the first country to adopt a rifle using smokeless powder. France has always been at the forefront of weapons design even if their guns were distinctly... French. It is a shame that they now have to turn to the Germans.
    It seems that France was actually the first to adopt a semiautomatic rifle intended for general issue in 1910, although it wasn’t available in quantities before the outbreak of hostilities, as it wasn’t supposed to go into production until 1914. Rather ironically not unlike the MAS40. And also rather not unlike the MAS40, it was largely superseded in service by an interim solution - the Mle 1917 RSC in the case of the A6 Meunier and the MAS36 in the case of the MAS40.

It seems, however, that the Mle 1917 RSC was never intended to be the standard issue rifle for France, and basically became to the French army of WWI what the intended-to-be-standard-issue SVT-40 would become to the Red Army of WWII.

The Mle 1918 RSC was supposed to become the general issue rifle of the French army in 1919, but like the Pederson Device and the M1918 BAR, kind of became another secret weapon of the Entente’s never-happened Spring 1919 Offensive.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678