Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brownells Brn 180

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    In other news I just got an email from Brownells featuring their new BRN180 specific lower. It is said to take all standard "milspec" bits with the exception of the not required receiver extension. In it's place 1913 rail section for a SIG MCX type stock. Pretty cool, now one can assemble their own modern take on a classic design.
    I asked them if it would accept MCX uppers. I’m curious what their answer will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting question Steve.. Please let us know.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    I asked them if it would accept MCX uppers. I’m curious what their answer will be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Their lower doesn’t seem to have the material to support the recoil springs the MCX needs. Same reason Sig advises people not to shoot the MCX uppers one lowers without their specific conversion block.

Feedback Score
    I'm Interested.

Piston, folding stock, a better charging handle with no brass deflector or forward assist needed. No buffer system. I like all of that.

It needs a light barrel, though.

It wont be as accurate as an AR15 upper. I do not need it to be.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I heard DEVGRU is using it in 300 BLK...

Feedback Score
    Has anyone else here tried one of these?

The Gen 2 seems to have fixed a couple issues from the Gen 1, but now there might be a new issue:

I found several reports (guys using different lowers, different mags, different ammo) of the bolt failing to return to batter during firing about once a mag. But a tap makes it go forward. Some have sent the upper to the maker who has reported several weeks turnaround. One fella got new springs but that didn't help. (same batch of springs?)

I noticed this happen in a MAC video. The bolt hesitates then goes into battery. He didn't mention it.

I'm ready to buy one of these but I'd like to find out what's going on first. I'd probably get a 16 inch .22. (They are a .223 Wyled chamber)

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This happened to me. Gen 2 BRN-180s .223 purchased a few months ago using 5.56 and Surefire SOCOM. Short-stroking on suppressed setting. Internet told me that was possible with low back pressure cans, but still a little surprising given this combo. On the suppressed setting I got a more than a few instances of the bolt locking back on a loaded magazine. Simply hitting the bolt release or taping the charging handle forward was sufficient, but this was obviously not optimal. Sent upper back to PWS, great communication / customer service, but the outcome remains to be seen. I wish we could purchase different gas system components.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Belated update. Received upper back from PWS early November. Per PWS they “changed gas nipple, and drilled it from .062 to .065.” Tested it with a few mags of different types of 5.56 on the suppressed setting with Surefire SOCOM RC 5.56 suppressor. Ran without a hiccup, very pleased now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Have several buddies w/ gen 1 & 2, have had some issues around gas per calr.c's comments. They were having similar issues with a MCX/Rattler so not sure if it's the can, but the solution was the same - open up the gas nipple.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123