Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brownells Brn 180

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Brownells Brn 180

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod122861.aspx

Anyone have some hands on experience with these?

What are your thoughts? Seems like you could turn it into a fun little folder..

I’ve always wondered about Brownells quality in general particularly on their glock slides.. any reason to avoid their premilled RDS ready?

If the BRN-180 has been discussed elsewhere let me know. Couldn’t find in a search!
    "Guns attract retards like moths to a porch light."-markm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I happen to like it but I'm nobody special and I don't own one yet as much as I do like it.. The guys at Inrange TV on youtube seem to like it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would like to see a shoot off between this and the Wolf A1, several thousand rounds through each and let the chips fall where they will.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod122861.aspx

Anyone have some hands on experience with these?

What are your thoughts? Seems like you could turn it into a fun little folder..

I’ve always wondered about Brownells quality in general particularly on their glock slides.. any reason to avoid their premilled RDS ready?

If the BRN-180 has been discussed elsewhere let me know. Couldn’t find in a search!
    My review:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sorta neat sorta but if you wanted an AR-18 action without a reciprocating charging handle you could get an HK upper for about 1500 if you are patient and know where to look.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm interested in trying the 10.5" BRN 180 upper on one of my SBR lowers. I think it would make awesome suppressor host. The 10.5" one has an adjustable gas block. Depending on function and build quality, it might just replace my DD Mk18 upper.

MAC also did a review of the AR18 where he has one of these to compare it with. Kind of got me into the idea. I give no shits about a reciprocating charging handle.
    Last edited by JPB; 01-12-20 at 16:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sorta neat sorta but if you wanted an AR-18 action without a reciprocating charging handle you could get an HK upper for about 1500 if you are patient and know where to look.
    You talking about a 416 upper? $1500?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    You talking about a 416 upper? $1500?
    An HK MR556 upper. And yes they can be found for 1500-1600 if you look. HK webshop occasionally has a sale.

Before people mewl, a 556 upper is more or less the same as the Marine M27 upper. The barrel is dead nuts. It’s a hell of a gun. And it really is an AR-18 action. I’m not saying Piston ARs are the big wow but I like mine.

I had an AR-180 and it was fun but just really old and my HK does same thing.

The BRN 10 initially seems cool until you realize it has all the failings of the AR-18 and none of the full benefits of the AR-15

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

The BRN 10 initially seems cool until you realize it has all the failings of the AR-18 and none of the full benefits of the AR-15
    Like what? It uses a standard AR lower/mags with the same manual of arms. It has dual recoil springs in the upper so you can actually utilize a folding stock. Adjustable gas block. Full MLOK/M1913 rail, pseudo-free floated barrel (as well as any piston AR anyway). Piston looks very similar to the HK set up.

I understand that actual AR-180 had some nuances to it's layout, but this BRN thing seems to marry up the best features of both. I do have questions regarding the barrel quality though. I'm not sure if it is chrome lined.

I think that you've pointed out its biggest flaw: it doesn't have HK stamped on it!
    Last edited by JPB; 01-13-20 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It’s a very interesting concept that needs a bit more refinement. In my opinion it would benefit from the following:

- Further modernize the gas system by making it serviceable from the front and add a gas valve that allows for suppressed use. This would also obviate the need to remove the handguard to service the gas system.
    - Ambi non reciprocating charging handle.
    - Fullauto capability on m16 lower. Easily accomplished with a trip linkage between the carrier and m16 autosear, ala mcx.
    - Beefed up bolt locking lugs, ala SCAR. Make this a 60k round (or better) service life part.
    - CHF chrome lined barrel.

This upper could be the MCX killer IF they put a bit more into it. The off bore axis external piston design is better suited for a carrier that rides on rails vs the AR15 tubular receiver/carrier bearing surface and cylindrical carrier.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 01-13-20 at 23:10.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast