Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brownells Brn 180

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JPB View Post
    Like what? It uses a standard AR lower/mags with the same manual of arms. It has dual recoil springs in the upper so you can actually utilize a folding stock. Adjustable gas block. Full MLOK/M1913 rail, pseudo-free floated barrel (as well as any piston AR anyway). Piston looks very similar to the HK set up.

I understand that actual AR-180 had some nuances to it's layout, but this BRN thing seems to marry up the best features of both. I do have questions regarding the barrel quality though. I'm not sure if it is chrome lined.

I think that you've pointed out its biggest flaw: it doesn't have HK stamped on it!
    Reciprocating charging handles are AIDS.
    Folding stocks really help when I’m shooting

The point of the AR-18 was to be the American AK. A conscript rifle for ostensibly friendly nations that didn’t have the means to forge aircraft aluminum but could work with stamped metal. I believe it would have gotten more traction had it not relied on its own magazine.

Otherwise it wasn’t the gun the AR-15 was.

It’s a charade. It’s boomercore. It’s the gun equivalent of Al Bundy bringing up his High School football days to teenagers.

The AR-18 action in itself isn’t bad, but it had its own flaws and hitherto HK has been the only ones able to make it work like it needs to and still be an AR.

I’m not even an HK fanboy but them is facts.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Reciprocating charging handles are AIDS.
    Folding stocks really help when I’m shooting
    To each his own, but I find the many reciprocating charging handles to be ergonomically superior to the the contraption that is on the AR15. Also, folding stocks aren't for shooting, they're for storage and concealment. Somebody must like them as they are on just about every rifle/SMG that isn't an AR.

You may not, but for me, I see these as advantages.
    Last edited by JPB; 01-14-20 at 20:19.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    It’s a very interesting concept that needs a bit more refinement. In my opinion it would benefit from the following:

- Further modernize the gas system by making it serviceable from the front and add a gas valve that allows for suppressed use. This would also obviate the need to remove the handguard to service the gas system.
    - Ambi non reciprocating charging handle.
    - Fullauto capability on m16 lower. Easily accomplished with a trip linkage between the carrier and m16 autosear, ala mcx.
    - Beefed up bolt locking lugs, ala SCAR. Make this a 60k round (or better) service life part.
    - CHF chrome lined barrel.

This upper could be the MCX killer IF they put a bit more into it. The off bore axis external piston design is better suited for a carrier that rides on rails vs the AR15 tubular receiver/carrier bearing surface and cylindrical carrier.
    I tend to agree. I'm not sure that Brownells is postured to engineer it to that level of refinement.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I tend to agree. I'm not sure that Brownells is postured to engineer it to that level of refinement.
    It was engineered by Primary Weapons Systems (PWS).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To each his own, but I find the many reciprocating charging handles to be ergonomically superior to the the contraption that is on the AR15. Also, folding stocks aren't for shooting, they're for storage and concealment. Somebody must like them as they are on just about every rifle/SMG that isn't an AR.

You may not, but for me, I see these as advantages.
    You cannot be this boomer. I refuse to believe it.

Per reciprocating charging handles, if you catch a snag on a tough wait-a-minute vine or have to take a shot from a prone and flat angle that is awkward or catch some other snag then you are likely to have a bad afternoon.

Per folding stocks, a lot of the SMGs/Rifles you mention are foreign made with weird foreign ideas.

A collapsed AR stock is pretty short. So IÂ’m not seeing the benefit. And as for concealment...really? I donÂ’t see how you are doing secret squirrel stuff with an AR like you need some kind of MP5K briefcase to get work done. The Mk. 18 is pretty short minus suppressor.

IÂ’m simply not seeing these advantages.

I had a SG 553. It was EXCELLENT. I loved it. It was a unicorn. A dream gun. But when I realized I was shooting my Colt and not my “dream gun”, I found that I cared more about what I was trained on my entire adult life than a toy. A fun toy. A great toy. I saw to it that it went to a loving and appreciative home; but for me, it was a toy.

I donÂ’t ask for much out of my ARs other than they work. I only mention HK because I do have one. It has its pros and cons. Its not my bae but close.

Feedback Score
    deleted.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-22-20 at 02:07.

Feedback Score
    Deleted.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 01-22-20 at 02:07.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used to have a classic AR180. I loved it and it was reliable with good magazines but those were hard to find and expensive. Also no support so if it broke it might be a while. So as much as I did like it out the door it went eventually replaced by a Colt AR. I'm seriously thinking about one of these new BRN's, I like it and lower with a folding stock might be in order..

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    In other news I just got an email from Brownells featuring their new BRN180 specific lower. It is said to take all standard "milspec" bits with the exception of the not required receiver extension. In it's place 1913 rail section for a SIG MCX type stock. Pretty cool, now one can assemble their own modern take on a classic design.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast