Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Troy A4 "other firearm"

Feedback Score

Troy A4 "other firearm"

Anyone have any experience with Troy firearms in general or this one specifically? The 12.5" barrel "base" model has me intrigued, specifically because I'm currently in self-imposed exile in New Germany, er, "Jersey," excuse me. That and now being "former" LE, my options list shrank considerably as to what I can do, if I want to do it legally, in my lovely home state.

Have a lot of experience with BCM and Colt reliability and have very trusted sources out there to speak for both but don't know much about Troy as a firearm, mostly just sights and accessories to this point.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They are currently legal to own in NJ and come with a letter from NJSP stating so. I know a couple of guys that have them, they like it so far. I wouldn’t be surprised if the current admin adds this to the list once they figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I stayed in NJ... probably would have picked one up. But not only NJ you have to worry about... ATF could make this illegal at a drop of a hat. Just look at all the other firearms on the outskirts of NFA that they messed with. I’m actually going to Form 1 my TAC-14 to give me the folding brace that was legal a couple moons ago (if I don’t SBS it, I could bring it back to NJ in the original firearm form).

After moving up to ME, I built my first AR pistol. With the 11.5” barrel, just comes in under 26”... so no vertical grip. To be honest, I don’t think it is that much of a hinderance (people originally did it to add that grip, not to get away from the pistol status). Just easier to shoot with a traditional forend, and since it’s legal for me, it is good to go. Makes a great truck gun, for what it’s worth.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I have a Troy GUA5/A/A retro rifle. I bought it expecting it to be more of a safe queen, but it’s a great shooter and is now in regular rotation with my 2 BCMs on trips to the range. Not my main HD gun and I’m not trying to make any equivalents to BCM quality, but it appears to be properly assembled with zero problems thus far. Troy’s attention to detail as far as making it a “clone correct” replica are top notch. I have no clue about Troy’s QC so YMMV.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Many poeple dislike Troy based on principle. That being said, I've never found anything they've made to be low quality.

Feedback Score
    Placed the order today and should be able to pick up next week. Been delaying since I started this thread and finally "pulling the trigger" so to speak.
    "Why "zombies"? Because calling it 'training to stop a rioting, starving, panicking, desperate mob after a complete governmental financial collapse apocalypse' is just too wordy." or in light of current events: training to stop a rioting, looting, molotov cocktail throwing, skinny jeans wearing, uneducated bunch of lemmings duped by, or working directly for, a marxist organization attempting to tear down America while hiding behind a race-based name

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hox013 View Post
    Many poeple dislike Troy based on principle. That being said, I've never found anything they've made to be low quality.

Follow the money trail to see how things started. In the case of Troy hate, it came from one manufacturer who used and bribed persons to target a competitor.

I have not found any issues with Troy products, and I have little doubt that the weapon will serve you well. I wish Troy had a larger presence on the forums so many of the rumors or questions could get put to rest and the weapons could stand on their own merit.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Steve Troy is a very good guy, avid shooter, avid collector, and he makes nice stuff. His decision to employ Horiuchi was unfortunate. I still like him as a person and own some of his products.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Steve Troy is a very good guy, avid shooter, avid collector, and he makes nice stuff. His decision to employ Horiuchi was unfortunate. I still like him as a person and own some of his products.
    Not Horiuchi(unless that is a new one). Horiuchi's partner along with an anti 2A Chicago police higher up.

Horiuchi was a full page HS Precision ad.

Feedback Score
    So now that I've pretty much got it set up like i want with Aimpoint T2, Scalarworks mount, Edgar Sherman black camo sling and some Magpul 10/30 (10 round but in 30 round sized) mags, https://photos.app.goo.gl/zGumiMi97dw831p59 , ​I started thinking about "what happens if..."

Since I'm in New Germany (Jersey) and operating under this silly state's firearm laws, I've decided that if something of consequence (yes it's unlikely and of course, I do hope it never happens) were to kick off, it would be smart to grab the Troy if for no other reason than it coming with the letter from NJ State Police approving it for legal ownership in the state. I have a handful of the Magpul magazines that are legal for use in NJ as well so from that standpoint I'm legal. How one would be treated, even in the most justifiable self-defense scenario, is another issue entirely. Pretty sobering watching what those that have used firearms CONUS have had to endure after the fact, that's for sure. Have what should be more than adequate liability insurance for such an occasion, again, something I would be just fine never having to employ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast