Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Iran shoot down a airliner?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    The pilots in here can correct me, but shouldn't one of the first things an aircrew does is radio in an inflight emergency to alert emergency responders?
    Been an airline pilot for over 20 years now.

We use the phrase: Aviate, navigate, communicate.

Your first priority is to keep the plane flying. In a really bad emergency where defecation is splattering through the ventilation system, talking on the radio is the absolute LAST priority.

I will not speculate on the cause,but I can promise you there is no way you’re going to catch me flying through that area anytime.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    ETA:
    Sorry, didn't realize it was a Boeing plane... 50:50 on the plane or Iranians causing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    I’m betting it’s a plane that should’ve been grounded and they kept flying it till it broke catastrophically. Unfortunately that happened during takeoff.
    Not everything needs to be enemy action. Murphy does have a vote too.
    It was a 737-800 delivered new in 2016:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ally-shot-down

Airline claims it just had recent maintenance. I'm skeptical of Ukraine and third-world airlines but it's a fairly new Boeing, NOT a MAX (with the known safety problem of the MAX), and it was on fire before it crashed. With everything going on the shoot-down idea seems most plausible.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    It was a 737-800 delivered new in 2016:

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...ally-shot-down

Airline claims it just had recent maintenance. I'm skeptical of Ukraine and third-world airlines but it's a fairly new Boeing, NOT a MAX (with the known safety problem of the MAX), and it was on fire before it crashed. With everything going on the shoot-down idea seems most plausible.
    The 737 has a good safety record, the MAX notwithstanding. But even the 737 MAX safety record has nothing to do with engines catching fire in flight.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post

Your first priority is to keep the plane flying. In a really bad emergency where defecation is splattering through the ventilation system, talking on the radio is the absolute LAST priority.

I will not speculate on the cause,but I can promise you there is no way you’re going to catch me flying through that area anytime.
    Thank you.

I was just thinking (if that video is correct) setting the transponder to squawk 7700 would have been done as a first part of any emergency procedure, even with aviating being the first priority. A good 30 seconds (a lifetime I'd imagine) go between where the video starts and the alleged impact.

My theory (speculation) is if the crew was incapacitated for some reason, such a radio call or distress beacon couldn't have been set.

Speculating...
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score

My daughter in law is an Air Force Officer who flies the C-17 Globemaster 3. She plans to do her 20 years, retire, then transition to commercial airline. My eldest son was speaking with her this morning and the fact the aircraft was seen to be on fire while airborne indicates a catastrophic failure and/or strike with another airborne object(s). A missile hit would also be in that area of possibility.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score

Did Iran shoot down a airliner?

Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Thank you.

I was just thinking (if that video is correct) setting the transponder to squawk 7700 would have been done as a first part of any emergency procedure, even with aviating being the first priority.

Speculating...
    7700 is basically the last item on any emergency checklist. It’s literally one of the last things you do.

I’m not saying the plane wasn’t blown up. I’m not saying it was either. I’ve got my theory, but being in the industry I tend to keep my cards close to my chest until the evidence is out.

The most recent example of a shoot down is the Malaysian airlines 777 that was shot down over Ukraine a couple years ago. If you want to see what a Russian buck missile will do to an airliner, look up that one.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 01-08-20 at 12:34.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    My daughter in law is an Air Force Officer who flies the C-17 Globemaster 3. She plans to do her 20 years, retire, then transition to commercial airline. My eldest son was speaking with her this morning and the fact the aircraft was seen to be on fire while airborne indicates a catastrophic failure and/or strike with another airborne object(s). A missile hit would also be in that area of possibility.
    Thanks, again, to both of you. Walking is for cavemen.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    7700 is basically the last item on any emergency checklist. It’s literally one of the last things you do.

I’m not saying the plane wasn’t blown up. I’m not saying it was either. I’ve got my theory, but being in the industry I tend to keep my cards close to my chest until the evidence is out.

The most recent example of a shoot down is the Malaysian airlines 777 that was shot down over Ukraine a couple years ago. If you want to see what a Russian buck missile will do to an airliner, look up that one.
    Thank you again.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    OK. They’re finally starting to show some decent resolution pictures of the crash site. Not ready to make the call, but there is a lot of similarities between this crash, and the shoot down of Malaysian airlines 777 over Ukraine.

Of course they are not going to turn the black boxes over to Boeing. That would be the Americans. They may cooperate with the European transportation safety Board.

If you guys have time, watch the air disasters program on the shoot down of the Malaysian airliner. It’s amazing how they were able to determine it was a missile strike. Of course once they were granted access to the crash strike they found shrapnel damage from where the missile actually exploded near the aircraft. If you look at the pictures on the news sites today, you can see things that may or may not be shrapnel holes in the side of the airplane.

Remember, an explosive device inside the plane walker similar damage. That darn sure doesn’t look like something that happened after the plane hit the ground though.

If I ran keeps everyone out including the Europeans, then we all know what happened. If they let the Europeans in, yet key pieces of the airplane come up missing, then we know what happened. One way or another, the truth is going to come out here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    They also say pilot was not talking to control tower before crash.
    Not uncommon - Aviate, Navigate, Communicate.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast