Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Viper Gen 2 PST or Razor Gen 2 - Which one?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Vortex Viper Gen 2 PST or Razor Gen 2 - Which one?

I’m looking to add a LPVO to a 16” mid-length BCM upper sitting in the safe and have pretty much decided on Vortex based on research, reviews, Ouiji board, etc. Intended use is being better able to see targets with my aging eyes at ranges within 100 to 300 meters; I can’t imagine exceeding 300 meters, but it could happen.

My first choice was the Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24. My research seems to indicate that the Razor HD Gen 2 E 1-6x24 may not offer twice the optic for over twice the cost. However, I’m very much a “buy once, cry once” consumed, so I could be convinced to go that way provided the right info and argument is provided. Thoughts/recommendations are welcome!

Since I’ve got an SBR and another more general use AR, I was thinking this one could be dedicated more for “precision” work...precision used very, very loosely in my case. I’ve looked at the Viper PST Gen 2 in 2-10x34 and recognize the merits and limitations of increased magnification. The Viper PST Gen 2 in 3-15x44 offers greater magnification but costs only $50 or so more than the 2-10x32. Any thoughts/recommendations on these two and as compared to the 1-6x24?

I’m low speed, moderate drag and will not be operationally operating. This is an exercise in expanding my shooting activities only. I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations that y’all may provide.
    Last edited by afff_667; 01-09-20 at 08:30. Reason: Spelling...
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    To quote Vortex, from the other site, "The PST Gen II 1-6x is 85-90% the Razor HD Gen II E for 50% the money."

I'm pretty impressed with my PST Gen II 1-6. I think you will be, too.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Go razor is your are going to be in a frequent use (weekly or more) or if you’re going to be physically tough on the gun. If it’s for classes, occasional use or whatever the Viper will do you fine.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    To quote Vortex, from the other site, "The PST Gen II 1-6x is 85-90% the Razor HD Gen II E for 50% the money."

Still stand by that. The PST is sweet. That said - with the new Gen III Razor 1-10x, some used Gen II 1-6's might pop up for good prices that may then be worth the step up over the PST Gen II for you if you were on the edge. Same lifetime warranty applies whether you're the original or 100th owner and whether or not you have any documentation at all.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post

Still stand by that. The PST is sweet. That said - with the new Gen III Razor 1-10x, some used Gen II 1-6's might pop up for good prices that may then be worth the step up over the PST Gen II for you if you were on the edge. Same lifetime warranty applies whether you're the original or 100th owner and whether or not you have any documentation at all.

Edit - sorry for the double tap on these replies

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Wait two weeks for SHOT. See what else gets announced. Then watch prices fall on both the PST and 1-6x Razor and get whichever you like.

I have the PST, previously owned the Razor, and don't see justification for the 1-6x Razor unless you need any bit of reliability because people are shooting AT you.

But also figure out if you really need/want a 1x variable, because slightly higher magnification scopes tend to cost less for better image quality and exit pupil size. The other PST models you list would be much better if you are not using 1x for 3-gun (etc.) and trying to do any sort of precision. So would many similar models from other brands. A lot of quality intermediate magnification scopes are on fire-sale prices right now due to a combination of slack buyer demand and introduction of newer models.

Feedback Score
    I went from the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x to the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x, just last month. I didn't even get my hands on a Vipter mid-priced model to even look through and can't compare those two.

While my Razor seems a bit sharper with less distortion, I can't say it's 4x better than the Strike Eagle. I do like the simpler JM-1 reticle on the Razor better, but that's personal preference. With either scope, I'll chew out the center of my target from 25-50 yards, where most of my shooting practice occurs. For these distances, I probably would have been just as happy with a red-dot and a 3x magnifier, but I do like the 6x magnification ability which helps me just that little bit more.

I was able to get a $1000 price at Christmas (Razor pricing now @~$1200) and had an immediate buyer of my older Strike Eagle at that time, which all were considered last month. If I could only afford the current-pricing-I-could-get-today of $540, I suspect the Viper would be a fine scope and would get that one instead. I also already had a 30mm scope mount from the Strike Eagle and didn't have to buy another mount (I'm just using a lower-priced Vortex 30mm cantilever mount). As I already said, even the Strike Eagle was good. I just wanted a bit better.

Other scopes I was considering but didn't get around to personally handling/checking-out were the Trijicon VCOG, Eotech VUDU, and Steiner P4XI.
    Last edited by L-2; 01-09-20 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Pulled the trigger on the PST 1-6x24 this afternoon...Seemed the best compromise, and I will not look at prices again! Mount recommendations? Bobro seems to get a lot of love, but what about a LaRue LT104 with VFZ since this optic will not be coming off with any regularity.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    You’ll be happy with the Viper.

Look at the Geissele Super Precision.

Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post
    Pulled the trigger on the PST 1-6x24 this afternoon...Seemed the best compromise, and I will not look at prices again! Mount recommendations? Bobro seems to get a lot of love, but what about a LaRue LT104 with VFZ since this optic will not be coming off with any regularity.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post
    Both mounts are fine. I like ADM better than both of those, but difference are tiny. A conventional non-QD mount would also work fine, and Warne makes a nice one, in the US, for around $75-100 street price. Avoid Chinese mystery mounts.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/War...-msr-mount.htm
    (I have no connection to this retailer or to any company listed)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast