Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karambits for EDC or self defense?

Feedback Score

Karambits for EDC or self defense?

I’d like to have a 3” Karambit for concealed carry in places where I cannot carry a firearm.

They meet the size limit, from what I understand.

I’m thinking of an Emerson, Spyderco or a Fox for a folder. However, with concerns about a gravity knife, I was also thinking of a fixed blade in a sheath at or under the 3” blade limit.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have a bunch of karambits. I've also had a lot of training with them. The short answer is that I don't recommend carrying one without a lot of professional instruction.

All of my defensive knives these days are fixed blades. I'm a big fan of Joe Watson's work.

I'll write more tomorrow, I gotta head to work in just a bit.

Please tell a bit more about the environment. Are you subject to body search or scan by metal detector?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a bunch of karambits. I've also had a lot of training with them. The short answer is that I don't recommend carrying one without a lot of professional instruction.

All of my defensive knives these days are fixed blades. I'm a big fan of Joe Watson's work.

I'll write more tomorrow, I gotta head to work in just a bit.

Please tell a bit more about the environment. Are you subject to body search or scan by metal detector?
    I’d be a tourist in NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    https://knifeup.com/new-york-knife-laws/

Not sure, How current this is but just a quick google search showed up.
    My concern if caught ,would be near the bottom
    "It is illegal to own any knife adapted for use primarily as a weapon"
    I think it would fall into this category , I "sample of 1" know no one who carries a Krambit as a general purpose tool, "cardboard cutter , letter opener, can opener etc."

The people that have them carry them (and never train with it) think it's Tactical, ( I hate that word) , scary and intimidating.

Feedback Score
    Karambits are curious weapons, have no clue how to actually utilize them properly as I have never had training with them. All my knives are fixed spear points for defensive use.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    This is a very good point, and Travelingchild makes a good one too.

Karambits are specialty knives in 3 senses:

First and most obvious is that they suck at the more mundane tasks that we use knives for. Sure, everyone thinks they’ll use their FMA inspired appendix carried tanto to take out the last member of the ISIS fireteam that decided to soft launch their crusade in the West Pitchatent strip mall, but in reality, we use EDC knives far more often to open mail, cut a bit of cordage, or jimmy open a latch.

Second is that they do require some training to use in a defensive role. They don’t stab well, and they really don’t slash well either. They work by trapping, ripping, and slicing. This takes practice.

Third is that the karambit, both by its appearance, and because of the points above, is immediately recognized as a knife carried for self protection. Even clipped in a pocket, the ring is clearly for retention or blunt impact, and it sticks out way past the clip, inhibiting concealment.

It’s a knife that marks the owner as a martial artist, a “personal protection enthusiast”, or a weirdo (usually a weirdo). Having it set off a metal detector alarm is going to get a lot of questions asked, as is having it x-rayed inside your Stryker X Assault Backpack (in wolf grey cause, you know, multicam would be too obvious).

So I’d go with something that a) you know how to use, b) can fit multiple legitimate roles, and c) you won’t cry over if you have to toss it, or it gets tossed. I have a 15 year old Griptilian that I carry when I’m concerned that it might get broken, gummed up, or lost.

Last time I was in NYC, I carried a Surefire E2D. Decent flashlight that moonlights as a self defense tool. No sideways looks, no explanations needed, and I like having one on the hotel nightstand. The tourist areas are pretty safe and well policed; it’s not like it was in the 70s and 80s. Practice good situational awareness and don’t go looking for trouble; there are no historical markers in back alleys.
    Go enjoy the City; see the sights, and eat real pizza.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are people on this forum that have trained more than I have with knives. Having said that, I did carry a Karambit for years. Took a few classes with Steve Tarani, combined with 50 years in the martial arts ( I am 70) it was a good everyday self defense asset.
    The issue is as mentioned that the ring screams Karambit, and if you every tried slicing an apple it was worthless. Just not an EDC knife.
    I do like the ring and find it the easiest knife to open. Switched over to another Emerson with the ring that is under 3 long and legal most places I go.
    Florida does not have preemption for knives and each city has it’s own laws.
    I travel to NYC a lot and carry a cane. Onto the plane, around the airport and all day in the city.
    Based on my training, (limited but some) I would rather have the cane than a Karambit. Once again my cane/stick training was with Tarani.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    There are people on this forum that have trained more than I have with knives. Having said that, I did carry a Karambit for years. Took a few classes with Steve Tarani, combined with 50 years in the martial arts ( I am 70) it was a good everyday self defense asset.
    The issue is as mentioned that the ring screams Karambit, and if you every tried slicing an apple it was worthless. Just not an EDC knife.
    I do like the ring and find it the easiest knife to open. Switched over to another Emerson with the ring that is under 3 long and legal most places I go.
    Florida does not have preemption for knives and each city has it’s own laws.
    I travel to NYC a lot and carry a cane. Onto the plane, around the airport and all day in the city.
    Based on my training, (limited but some) I would rather have the cane than a Karambit. Once again my cane/stick training was with Tarani.
    Yup, I am a huge fan of Steve's, and have taken multiple classes with him.

The points folks make in this thread are all excellent. Pick something you can throw into a dumpster if the choice is that or jail time.

I think the point about a drop-point hunter is really a good one. It is and looks like a utility knife, and therefore has a strong argument about following NYC laws.

Do not for any reason have any part of the knife or sheath visible. A pocket clip, bottom part of a sheath - anything seen give an LEO reason to stop you. And remember that NYC has their (in)famous stop and frisk policy. if they just feel like patting you down, they'll do it. I always remember the saying "You might beat the ticket, but you'll never beat the ride."

Get a fixed blade under 4 inches. Put Velcro hook and loop on the sheath and the inside of a pocket. Tape up the blade and practice drawing from concealment.

I never buy a blade that does not have a matching trainer. That might be harder in this case.

I just got the new Shivworks Clinch Pick 2.0 yesterday. It's definitely not a utility blade, but something to keep in mind for future use.

Something like a RAT-3 wouldn't be a bad choice: https://www.amazon.com/Ontario-Knife...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Under 60 bucks, sturdy, and not so expensive I would not hesitate to throw it in a storm drain with a quickness.

Hope that helps. Make sure you stop at Grimaldi's, and get a slice of pizza!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would look up the laws. I believe you can't have anything over 4in blade, gravity knives, anything that opens with a flick of a wrist, etc....etc..

Feedback Score
    I've got a couple karambits. My choice to buy them was out of curioisity more than anything else. I like knives in general, like most of us.

I don't carry the karambit daily. My EDC knife is an Ontario RAT-1, which is a decent everyday knife.

Anyhoo, I have some basic knife training, that comes with being in the USMC for 25 years. I watched many vids by Doug Marcaida and others to kind of get a feel for how they are used by the pros.

I'm not committed to learning all the fancy moves involved in many of the techniques, but they are really impressive to watch, when executed with skill.

As noted, the karambit really doesn't do everyday knife tasks with any degree of ergonomics.

My karambits are a Derespina Chiroptera, made by FOX, and an Ontario EOD. They are quite different in handle-to-blade geometry. The Ontario I could see having some great retention, and ability to inflict damage using gross motor skills. With a blade forward, hammer fist grip, and using basic punches and close in slashes. On the other hand the Ontario needed hours of honing to get any kind of edge on it.

So , in summary, they are interesting knives, and really deadly tools in the hands of an expert. A novice may be able to employ them with effectiveness using only gross motor skills, in a close fight. But probably not the knife for NYC tourists to favor. It is in fact designed primarily as a weapon, not a utility knife.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast