Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karambits for EDC or self defense?

Feedback Score
    Favorite Krambit vs Straight blade fight scene "Yes I know it's a movie and for entertainment"

Back story Bad guy in leather jacket, with Krambit vs I don't live for tomorrow Ex SF Korean Protagonist with straight blade

Man from No Where. Korean Flick

Skip to 5 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJ6gxJyJDI

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After watching the Cold Steel Tiger Claw vs every other karambit test on YouTube I bought a Tiger Claw. It's a pretty awesome knife.

Feedback Score
    New York State isn't terrible for self defense tools.

New York City is TOTALLY ANTI Self Defense Tools!

- No knives with blades that lock in the open position
    - No Fixed blades knives
    - Nothing that could be considered a blunt force weapon (canes, saps, walking sticks)
    - No firearms (unless you are royalty, a politician, or a Hollywood Liberal with connections)
    - No Tazers
    - Pepper Spray must be pocket sized and must be purchased within the city

The best idea is a good flashlight with a good bezel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
    New York State isn't terrible for self defense tools.

New York City is TOTALLY ANTI Self Defense Tools!

- No knives with blades that lock in the open position
    - No Fixed blades knives
    - Nothing that could be considered a blunt force weapon (canes, saps, walking sticks)
    - No firearms (unless you are royalty, a politician, or a Hollywood Liberal with connections)
    - No Tazers
    - Pepper Spray must be pocket sized and must be purchased within the city

Maybe a small chainsaw?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe315 View Post
    Chiming in here because I think that it's important to mention that a good flashlight with a good bezel gives you options, and is an illumination tool which is just that in the eyes of most people - a tool. The important part here is that it's a tool and that it gives you options.

Not knowing your level of fitness, experience in dense urban areas, or relative experience with formal training and informal "lessons learned" in the real world, I can't begin to say that one thing will be better for you than another thing.

One thing that I can say with certainty, however, is that good situational awareness, a cool head, and a pair of legs and lungs are the best preemptive self defense tools that I've ever seen employed, and it's saved me from a mountain of paperwork/legal issues, explaining, and violence/serious bodily injury on a number of occasions. My opinion is based on my personal experience, and having the luxury of being able to create space and time because I read the environment enough to know that it wasn't worth being there in my risk/reward calculus at the time. That is a luxury, and I recognize that everyone's situation is different. It's up to you to choose what tools work best for you within your own decision-making process.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:29.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I had a Fox folder but lost it getting out of a vehicle. A strap must have caught the clip and pulled it out, as I never noticed until it was gone. I have since been looking for a very small fixed karambit that I can carry in a pocket or IWB. But I have yet to find one small enough. I have been trained and continue to use my Fox folder training when I'm on the mats, but the goal is a fixed blade solution. I don't need more than 1-2" of blade.

My purpose for carrying it, is to create distance and break free to get my pistol. Essentially I'm looking for the karambit equivalent of a clinchpick, but slightly smaller.
    I've found some decent options that look great, but wind up being only 3 finger and that's not for me at all.
    US Army Infantry 2008-2012
    LEO 2012 - Current

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I’d like to have a 3” Karambit for concealed carry in places where I cannot carry a firearm.

They meet the size limit, from what I understand.

I’m thinking of an Emerson, Spyderco or a Fox for a folder. However, with concerns about a gravity knife, I was also thinking of a fixed blade in a sheath at or under the 3” blade limit.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I have one with a blade "hook" on it that catches on a pocket when you yank it out and opens it. I carried it on duty in my left thigh pocket for a left hand quick weapon.

Great knives.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12