Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fence experts, have some questions you might be able to answer.

Feedback Score

Fence experts, have some questions you might be able to answer.

Buying a house that sits on .5 acres its a corner lot with neighbor property next to it and behind it, neither property is fenced.

I want to fence in at least the back half of the property up to the rear of the house.

What options are there that looks good, can hold a Great Dane, yet won't break the bank.

I don't want wood due to upkeep and the abundance of carpenter bees we have.

Chain link seems basic and not the best looking.

Any ideas?
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    Wrought iron, but it won't be cheap. If you like the look of wood but want durability you could go with one of the wood/poly composites, also wont be cheap.

Wood with sealer applied every season should keep the bees from chewing/boring holes for eggs. Sealer is pretty easily applied with a paint roller.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Chain link and if you want privacy get the slats will likely be the most cost effective.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Not an expert but maybe some type of welded wire, commonly known as horse fencing
    such as:
    https://www.deerbusters.com/metal-de...QaAo9-EALw_wcB

Your choice of top & bottom rails ..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Assuming that you live in town, I recommend that you check the city code to see what types of fences that they allow. For instance, more and more municipalities are banning chain link because they don't like the look.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Travelingchild View Post
    Not an expert but maybe some type of welded wire, commonly known as horse fencing
    such as:
    https://www.deerbusters.com/metal-de...QaAo9-EALw_wcB

Your choice of top & bottom rails ..
    Best I can recall that is cheaper than chain link, but is back to the visual appeal issue.

Understand the bee issue. The ones here seem to like treated lumber, even ignoring plain Jane 2x4's laying right beside it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    <snipped giant pic>
    That vinyl stuff's nice so long as it doesn't hail where you live. Around here, it'd look like somebody put a case of buck through it by the end of the first summer...

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Buying a house that sits on .5 acres its a corner lot with neighbor property next to it and behind it, neither property is fenced.

I want to fence in at least the back half of the property up to the rear of the house.

What options are there that looks good, can hold a Great Dane, yet won't break the bank.

I don't want wood due to upkeep and the abundance of carpenter bees we have.

Chain link seems basic and not the best looking.

Any ideas?
    You are getting a lot of bad advice here so far. You come off as being cheap. Do you want the fence to look like it belongs in a trailer park or nice residential setting? Plastic looks cheap but isn't. Wood will last 20+ years if you take care of it. Is your home resistant to bees? I didn't think so.

Feedback Score
    Problem with vinyl is mold and mildew. You'll be cleaning it a good bit. Grass clippings will stick to it and white is about the worst color for upkeep (but does look good clean).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast