Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me what I'm overlooking.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tell me what I'm overlooking.

New 13.7 upper, mid-length gas, .223 Wylde chamber. Did not measure gas port size, another user reports .0735, though.

Ammo is my range 55gr .223. Everything I use runs on this ammo, I've filled nearly two five gallon buckets with brass, I'm not changing, it is what it is.

Lower has an A5 extension, the upper I took of the lower was 16 in, carbine gas, and ran smooth as butter with an A5H3.

Without going into a lot of detail on how and why, I used the bolt from the upper I stripped to get the rail I used on this build.

Head to the range. Fire one, cycles, fails to feed - bolt closes on empty chamber. Ejection straight out at 3:00, not as far as I'm used to though. Practice my immediate action a couple more rounds, and use a couple mags just in case, before I decide to put in a new buffer - only problem is that I only have carbine buffers in my range bag.

Head home and turn the A5H3 into an A5H2, and an A5H0 into an A5H1. Run back to range. Same deal with both buffers, although I did manage to get one case length-wise on the bolt and the edge of the ejection port. Head home again.

At home I decide, WTF, even though the brass looks good, maybe I ought to check head space, since, you know I spent all that money on gages. Of course I have to clean the bolt and bolt carrier, which may not have been a bad idea, head space is okay. Convert A5 buffers back to H0 and H3, grab another rifle with a carbine lower, and head to the range.

At the range with the A5HO in the rifle, same deal, brass is falling at 4:00, I'm getting tired of push/pull, cycle, and have determined that the new BCM upper really doesn't make much difference for left handed operation.

Time for a change, I take the bolt from the rifle I've been using and put it in the other rifle. Works fine. So I take the carbine lower off the other rifle and put it on the 13.7. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I started with an H3, then an H2, and then a Carbine buffer. Same deal.

Finally, it was getting dark, so I put the rifles back into their original configurations, and decided to try the A5H3. Fired a mag at a pretty good clip, didn't lock back. Fired what was left of another mag, didn't lock back. Brass is pretty much in a pile at about 4:30.

I'm missing something obvious here, what is going on?

ETA: Gas block is a pinned Geissele Carbon Steel Gas Block.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-10-20 at 02:37.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Sounds like it's under gassed.

Was this barrel brand new, as in never been fired?

Did it fail to cycle at first and then start to mostly work at the end?
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Gas Block Square and Plumb to Port?
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I was having the same issue, I corrected the gas block, I'm going to the range on Monday so we will see.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Sounds like it's under gassed.

Was this barrel brand new, as in never been fired?

Did it fail to cycle at first and then start to mostly work at the end?
    Yes, and yes.

I initially thought under gassed but went lighter and lighter on the buffers, then at the end it worked with the A5H3 except locking back.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Gas Block Square and Plumb to Port?
    Barrel came pre-dimpled. I installed gas block on the dimple and then drilled and pinned. Looks plumb.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone else here think that a 0.0735 port sounds kinda small for a middy, especially on such a short barrel?
    Last edited by Curlew; 01-10-20 at 15:40. Reason: Clarify mid-length gas

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Check the gas key alignment if you have not. Marginal rings or a loose key would show up on a shoty middy but might run a 16" CAR gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlew View Post
    Does anyone else here think that a 0.0735 port sounds kinda small for a middy, especially on such a short barrel?
    Yes. That is maybe just 5.56 or it's for suppressed use. If that is the actual port size.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, that's light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlew View Post
    What brand barrel?
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Barrel came pre-dimpled. I installed gas block on the dimple and then drilled and pinned. Looks plumb.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...JXXrk/htmlview

Good info, but if you look you will see port sizes vary a good deal by who makes them (only a couple 13.7" ones but you can compare).

It's the A5 curse.....
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast