Thread: NFA QUESTIONS ON AR PISTOL BUILD

Feedback Score

NFA QUESTIONS ON AR PISTOL BUILD

i have a couple of questions on a ar pistol build , looking online im seeing that a pistol is to be no longer than 26" , id like to run 11.5" barrel and a maxim defense brace , best of my calculations it should be under this 26" measurment coulapsed and a one website said it should be measered minus brake, question , is this 26" measured coulapsed of extened , extended will push measurement over the 26" , i see online some of the big ar producing companys listing pistols with oal specs 26.5 up to close to 30" with brace as well , according to one article i read this would then be an aow and not a pistol guessing would stil be ok to have but would it require any special registering even though it has a brace , second question again another article said to be a pistol lower needed to be marked pistol but all the picture i see are on regular ar lowers no pistol markings, any info or advise would be appreciated , i want to buy once buy right and buy leagal , thanks

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    B&T sells an APC223 with a 16" barrel and no stock as a "pistol" the ATF would have to approve this.

I think the article you read is off. There are too many 26"+ guns the ATF clearly classified as a pistol.

Now if you wanted to make an AOW and it got shorter 26" with the stock* (silly me I meant brace) collapsed and the muzzle device off you'd be in trouble, cause thats a pistol.
    Last edited by TMS951; 01-10-20 at 15:24.

Feedback Score
    so if it measures 25" or 27" or longer coulapsed with a break installed it can still be considered a pistol , is the lower having to be marked pistol not correct also , what makes a aow

Feedback Score
    so if it measures 25" or 27" or longer coulapsed with a break installed it will still be considered a pistol , is the lower having to be marked pistol not correct also , what makes an aow

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

NFA QUESTIONS ON AR PISTOL BUILD

It would be an AOW if it was shorter than 26 inches and you had a VERTICAL fore grip installed with a brace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dacrafts View Post
    i have a couple of questions on a ar pistol build , looking online im seeing that a pistol is to be no longer than 26" , id like to run 11.5" barrel and a maxim defense brace , best of my calculations it should be under this 26" measurment coulapsed and a one website said it should be measered minus brake, question , is this 26" measured coulapsed of extened , extended will push measurement over the 26" , i see online some of the big ar producing companys listing pistols with oal specs 26.5 up to close to 30" with brace as well , according to one article i read this would then be an aow and not a pistol guessing would stil be ok to have but would it require any special registering even though it has a brace , second question again another article said to be a pistol lower needed to be marked pistol but all the picture i see are on regular ar lowers no pistol markings, any info or advise would be appreciated , i want to buy once buy right and buy leagal , thanks
    <26”= pistol
    >26”=“firearm”
    No vfg maybbe used with either, but handstops and such are ok

Markings dont matter, as long as the lower was not built or transferred as a rifle (built means stock and >16” barrel installed), you can build it as a pistol or “firearm”

Quote Originally Posted by dacrafts View Post
    so if it measures 25" or 27" or longer coulapsed with a break installed it can still be considered a pistol , is the lower having to be marked pistol not correct also , what makes a aow
    Muzzle device and brace (but not tube) removed.
    Muzzle devices only count if pinned.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-10-20 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Lower does not need to be marked pistol. Lower cannot be assembled into a rifle before being used for a pistol. Lowers should be sold as "other" by the FFL (and stripped lowers are sold like pistols - have to be 21 y/o and a resident to buy).

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A pistol can be of any length. Vertical foregrips can only be added to a pistol with an OAL of 26" or greater, without a tax stamp. OAL is measured from the muzzle (or muzzle device if permanently affixed) to the end of the receiver extension. The length of the brace, whether extended or collapsed, does not count because a brace is an accessory.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    thank you all for your replies , this helps me understand what all i have been reading which is all above my head , trying to keep away from issues down the road , thank you