Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steel Cased 300 Blackout

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Subs would make me get it back out of the safe.

Feedback Score
    It's always good to have more loadings, but I honestly don't get why someone would use 300 Blackout if they were not shooting it subsonic. That's its niche. 7.62x39 will do great for short cartridge length supersonic 30cal in the 125gr range.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    It's always good to have more loadings, but I honestly don't get why someone would use 300 Blackout if they were not shooting it subsonic. That's its niche. 7.62x39 will do great for short cartridge length supersonic 30cal in the 125gr range.
    Agreed. Subs or bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sierra 220gr rn, a little H110, new primer and bingo...nice cheap reloaded subsonics in 300 BO. Save your brass and the next reload is even cheaper.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Because .300Blk supers out of a 7-9" AR pistol or SBR make for a very effective HDW or PDW, with or without a can.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Because .300Blk supers out of a 7-9" AR pistol or SBR make for a very effective HDW or PDW, with or without a can.
    I agree, but so would 7.62x39 which is more readily available and costs less.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Agreed, but an AR pistol or sbr let's you stick with the same platform most already use. It also let's you hunt in some states. Steel cased 300 ammo would close the cost gap and still support a platform that does very well suppressed with subs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Agreed, but an AR pistol or sbr let's you stick with the same platform most already use.
    7.62x39 does have a reputation for not running reliably in AR15's which is probably what gave rise to 300Blackout in large part. The vast majority of those issues have been resolved over the past several years. I have two 7.62x39 rifles that run 100%. I've even put both uppers on my M16A1 and they run 100%. If someone doesn't have any 7.62x39 firearms, I can definitely see going the 300Blackout route. I have plenty of 7.62x39 firearms, so I can't justify it (and believe me, it doesn't take much to justify a new gun in my mind).

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    And doesn't work as well in the AR, requires proprietary mags and has much more muzzle blast out of a 7-9" barrel. .300Blk was optimized for a 9" barrel and works reliably with standard AR parts and mags. Anything that helps popularize it is a welcome addition, especially less expensive training ammo.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    And doesn't work as well in the AR
    I'm not sure what you mean by doesn't work well. If reliability, then I'd very much disagree as noted above.

requires proprietary mags
    They're not proprietary as there are options from several different manufacturers. I started with D&H and RZE Unimags. Both run 100% for me, so I have not bothered to try anything else. Much of the historical reliability issues of 7.62x39 in AR15's is related to using regular AR15 magazines or just plain junk 7.62x39 magazines. Junk magazines will cause issues in any AR15, regardless of the cartridge. The 7.62x39 magazines are generally more expensive though. As I understand it, it is a good idea to use 300Blackout specific magazines in 300Blackout chambered AR's.
    https://gunpros.com/best-magazine-for-300-blackout/

has much more muzzle blast out of a 7-9" barrel. .300Blk was optimized for a 9" barrel.
    Yes. I have plenty of fun with the muzzle blast of my SBR AK's and AK pistols. However, I wonder how much of the blast is simply related to the powder chosen along with the bullet weight. 300 Blackout subsonic is specifically made for short barrels, so I'm sure they do a good job of choosing a low flash powder that burns more quickly. I bet if a similar size bullet and the same powder was used in 7.62x39, it would produce similar results.

Anything that helps popularize it is a welcome addition, especially less expensive training ammo.
    I agree. BTW, I'm not trying to be argumentative here. I just like to discuss that why's of doing things when it comes to firearms. No real justification is needed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast