Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911 Combat Elite question

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

Colt 1911 Combat Elite question

I know nothing about 1911's. But today, a neighbor asked me if I wanted to buy his 1911. I walked over and he had a new in box Colt Combat Elite (MK IV Series 80) two tone black and stainless. It has never been fired. I told me that last year he updated the sights to trijicon night sights because he was going to give the gun to his son. Anyways, it was manufactured in 1987 based on the serial number, never fired, original box and paperwork that hasn't even been opened and I have the original sights.

He mentioned that he thought this gun was a limited production gun....something like 500 made. Anyways I paid $500 and I know older 1911 are worth some money but I don't think late 80s is old. I did a brief google search but other guns like this had a different hammer and had stainless parts on them instead of black. Any ideas if this gun is special in any way? Is it worth anything? Is it a legit limited production gun?

Attachment 60300
    Attachment 60301
    Attachment 60302
    Attachment 60303

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm by no means a Colt expert, but Colt seems to do a LOT of limited runs. Looking through gunbroker will show all kinds of commemorative models. While I wouldn't be surprised if it was from a genuine run of 500, that just seems like it would really just be another Colt.

Feedback Score
    It appears to be a great example of the first Colt Combat Elite models. I'd bought mine (no longer have it) ~1988 and recall it not having a blued slide stop or mag catch, however.

Do be careful of the barrel bushing as it's probably the no-longer-made "collet" type, which can eventually break. I understand a regular barrel bushing can be substituted-in of the appropriate size.

I don't know anything about how many were made.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The collet bushings had a tendency to have one of the legs snap off and tie up the gun.
    Reason for the short production life.
    Have EGW make a conventional bushing using your barrel ID and slide OD dimensions.
    You’ll have better accuracy and no worries about the bushing.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I'll give you $600 for it, because I am a kind and benevolent person.

Feedback Score
    This could turn out quite good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

You are into a quality 1911 for dirt cheap - so you get to learn about them and acclimate to them without a huge investment.... good. Which, will likely lead you to loving the design and sending the kids of your favorite gunsmith to college as you build your collection and build what you have... bad.

Either way, I bid $650!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I have a series 80 Colt that I purchased a few years after yours was made. I put many thousands of rounds through it and took it out to Gunsight. I would have snatched that gun up for 500 bucks. You did well. Shoot it and enjoy it. Take a look at the bushing as others have stated, replace if needed.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Super cool and great price.

If it has a collet bushing, make sure you press the slide out of battery far enough to get the end of the bushing past the thicker portion of barrel before you turn it. Very unlikely to break if you treat it right.

Feedback Score
    kick ass

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That is a fine pistol
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast