Thread: RCBS X die, is my logic sound on this

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

RCBS X die, is my logic sound on this

I picked up a small base X die when they first came out, used it as directed a bit, then got out of reloading for awhile. I decided to load up some Gold Dots for hunting this year and ended up using the X die as a regular die, only the initial size with mandrel backed out, standard trim to length, and no follow up size with mandrel screwed in.

So in all of that, I rediscovered I actually enjoy handloading, but the trim, chamfer, and debur process not as much. I also prefer leaving things set as much as possible, so the X die process requires some adjusting in and out per batch of brass so that is something I am curious if I can work around.

My assumption is I can acquire a standard small base die to do the initial size, do the X die trim length, then do the X sizing die. If my logic is correct, I should be able to keep a steady stream of brass flowing in to the pile with only the one time trimming and less to no fiddling with adjustments. Any experience or opinions?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

RCBS X die, is my logic sound on this

Dupe of post below
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 01-11-20 at 11:47.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been using x-dies for .223 and .30-06 for many years. I use my old sizing for for the initial sizing, then trim and chamfer, then use the x-die for all future sizing of those cases.

These are not for precision long range shooting, just fun target and steel to 300, sometimes 500 yds. But they are significantly more accurate than most factory ammo and slightly more accurate than a Federal GMM.

This reduces the trimming quite a bit, but I still do a fair amount from shooting new ammo or range pick ups of .223. I average about 7% turnover in cases per range trip due to loss or finally wearing out. The .30-06 I don’t shoot in enough volume versus the total number of cases I have to have had much reduction from wear. I have reloaded some batches of cases 7 or 8 times with no noticeable signs of incipient head separation or neck thickening.

The x-die only makes sense to me for cartridges I shoot in high volumes in semi-autos. I have to keep new-to-me brass separate from the previously trimmed brass when picking up at the range. In exchange I do a lot less trimming and chamfering.

And yes, once a batch of brass goes through the initial trimming it all goes through the x-die at the same setting. I use a turret press that has both regular sizing due and the x-die installed in the die plate. I just skip over the regular die for most reloading.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you for the response NWPilgrim!

What you have been doing, and why, is exactly the angle I was curious about.