Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "1917"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    My 11 and 8 year old have taken an interest to military history. Is the violence and gore over the too over the top? Would you take boys that age?

After getting questions about DDay during the anniversary I showed them Saving Private Ryan. Meant to show a clip hear and there but ended up letting the movie play. My wife was not happy. The 8 year old was perfectly fine but my 11 year old was a bit freaked out for a couple hours.

I also let them see the final scene of Zero Dark 30. Again, the little one thought it was cool but the older one was a little bit unsettled (nothing crazy).

My Dad always let me see stuff like this and I showed them thinking it’s a lesson in reality vs the video games they play.
    The definitive movie for D-Day is The Longest Day- more than blood and gore and is true to history. If you want to get them into WW1 then watch All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) and
    The Lost Battalion.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    No spoiler review.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    Without having seen it yet or knowing the storyline, I'll just say that on a technical side, April, 1917 would have been a peculiar point in the use of gas during the war and almost routine. Mustard gas had not yet been used and the PPE available to soldiers was considerably better than what it was in the gas attacks of 1914/15. From what I've read, it wasn't like both sides were routinely exchanging gas shells - they were part of a bombardment prior to an attack.

As an aside, while the prolific use of chemical weapons during the "Great War" is a big part of the general knowledge people have about the conflict, comparatively few soldiers died as a result of it, at least in the near-term - probably no more than 1% of fatalities, and a majority of them before 1917, because PPE and defensive tactics improved faster than the offensive tactics. I'm sure that didn't make it any less terrifying for those that endured it. Also, the French were the first to use it in 1914, and from 1917 through the end of the war, the Allies used it in far greater proportion because they had the capacity to manufacture much more of it.
    My wife and I went Saturday afternoon. A very realistic and gripping film. The cinematography was very realistic and the battle scenes were not over done . I have a great interest in everything WWI. My father fought in the war with C company 353rd Infantry,89th Infantry Division and was gassed in the Bois de Bantheville ,France in October 1918. He then developed pneumonia but luckily for me he survived the war and returned home in August of 1919. He married my mother in 1941 who was 18 years his junior and they had 4 children,myself being the youngest born in 1955! He passed away in 1960,one month before my 5th birthday.Here is a study done by the Army on Gas Warfare In WWI and the 89th Division in particular.

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/p...tem/pftype/pdf
    I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    Took my father-in-law to see it. Very well made film.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Not bad, maybe my expectations were a little to high. 1917 easily over Star Wars for me.
    That was our choice, made by the wife. She's not really into Star Wars and neither am I. There were a couple parts in 1917 that I wouldn't have done if I was the script writer, but overall it was worth seeing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Any movie that comes out that does not have a female lead shoehorned into a male role should get bonus points. I was entertained, no need to nitpick, yeah he had a hollywierd magazine but so what, and about gas, this was a 12 hour or less movie, gas was not a constant thing.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Saw it this weekend. While I agree that's it not something I'll watch multiple times like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Band of Brothers", it was still a very good movie. Very intense and the continuous shots do a fantastic job of building and heightening the intensity. The cinematography made the horror of what it must've been like for the guys at the front very real. It's too bad that WWI didn't receive as much attention while the vets were still alive as did WWII.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234