Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    a set of crimson trace laser grips. This is, in the words of LAV, a no brainer fro the J-frame..
    Just curious if you shoot thumbs forward, and if so whether you've tried it weak handed with those grips.

I had a set of LG-308s I put on a 686 that were the bees knees until I tried a magnum round with them. The laser assembly housing-- with the same thumbs forward grip I've used for tens of thousands of rounds left handed-- goes straight into the tenderest part of the knuckle. No bueno.

Not necessarily a fault of the grips themselves I suppose, but something everyone should try once just to see how it affects them. Especially if not putting in a lot of weak handed reps. (for rightys - southpaws will figure out whether it's go/nogo PDQ)

Feedback Score
    It’s still no bueno for left handed shooting that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Funny, I'm left-handed and have never had any problems.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    No problem. My thumb points down when I shoot support hand only.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Reading this thread makes me want to reconsider the purchase of a 38/357 J frame !

Feedback Score
    I use an XS Big Dot front sight and Pachmayr Compaq grips on my EDC, and the Compaq grips on any J Frame I shoot regularly.Attachment 63981
    Last edited by Black_Sheep; 10-09-20 at 20:36.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Having a full fingered grip on a j frame makes a world of difference in being able to shoot comfortably and accurately. I get that those little grips conceal better but not much good if follow up shots are harder to make because the grip is so small for the recoil.

Feedback Score
    I have used various methods over the years to mitigate recoil in my 442. Thousands of rounds have been put through it, and the short version is that I have cut my hand on the backstrap using boot grips and a high hold during long practice sessions and warm loads.

BTW, laser grips make a big difference:

Years back sitting at my desk at work I super glued a half an earplug to the backstrap as a cushion as a temporary fix. It stayed on there for a few years. Then I ended up using EVA foam which worked fantastic. It was held in place with hockey tape.

Earplug mod:

EVA:

The latest iteration is a thin strip of leather held in place with hockey tape.

Since using the various "cushion" mods, I have yet to cu my hand and I can extend my practice sessions. It may look redneck as hell, but it works great.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    You fella's need to try a Ruger LCR!

Very nice trigger, frame is far inside the grip, meaning the factory Hogue "Tamer" grip cushion is between your hand and frame. Weighs less than an alluminum S&W in .38, (13.5 oz) front sight is pinned yet easy to change, trigger guard is larger for gloves or just not smacking your finger in recoil. Polymer trigger guard and lower frame wont cut you or rust.

Available with or without exposed hammer. 5 shot .357, 9mm, and 6 shot .327's weigh 17 ounces.

The .38 special has less felt recoil than an air weight S&W and a .357 magnum version (with .38's) less than that.

The best choice is the .327 magnum. 6 shots and very low-recoil practice with .32 acp and .32 S&W Longs.

While speed loaders and strips are made for the LCR's your favorite Safariland loaders wont work well with the factory Hogue grip.

Give one a try!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 642-1...

No, not two lasers on it. The LaserMax is their discontinued weapon light, as I prefer to have a light on my carry guns. The LG-405s stay on there, but I only tend to use them for dry fire practice. I periodically check zero, but mostly practice with them off. If I utilize it during a shooting... great... but don’t want to rely on it.

Action-wise, just a lot of shooting with an Apex Duty/Carry Kit. Had the gun completely refinished in NP3 Plus, which slicked it up a little bit.

Only other modification is a 9mm conversion cylinder; done by Pinnacle, but picked it up second hand off AR15.com. Have to use moon clips, which I carry in Del Fatti holders (tried a few different options... they turned out to be the best). The nice thing with the conversion cylinder is I kept my .38 cylinder... which gives me a sort of convertible setup. I rarely switch back from 9mm, though. Been meaning to do some side-by-side testing between the calibers so I can keep accurate numbers.

Carry ammo for me is Hornady XTP 147 grain (standard pressure). No crimp jump through multiple cylinders (same round fired through four shot strings) and good performance compared to my previous defensive round. I use UMC Bulk 115 grain for practice ammo, which is perfect as it is cheap and has the same POI as the XTP. Might try Federal HST 150 grain... but can’t see a huge difference between the two.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast