Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

The LCR trigger is very good for a revolver. However reset isn't great and on just a few occasions I have short-stroked the trigger after firing another gun with a stronger reset.
    This is one of my main reasons I sold off my LCR’s and went back to the J.

Feedback Score
    340PD vs 642 thought.

$1100 vs $450. I'll never fire .357 from one ( done that) and the 340 is 2.6 oz lighter. That probably isn't worth the extra $650. The extra weight could reduce the chance of bullet-pull anyway. Plus recoil slightly less.

Heck I can just find a used (hardly fired) no-lock 642. Use the savings on holsters.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-09-23 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    340PD vs 642 thought.

$1100 vs $450. I'll never fire .357 from one ( done that) and the 340 is 2.6 oz lighter. That probably isn't worth the extra $650. The extra weight could reduce the chance of bullet-pull anyway. Plus recoil slightly less.

Heck I can just find a used (hardly fired) no-lock 642. Use the savings on holsters.
    I prefer the BG38. The recoil is noticeably softer, to me, than shooting my old 642 and I like the new cylinder release. The 642 cylinder release would chew up the thumb on my firing hand during a 150-200 round range session.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I prefer the BG38. The recoil is noticeably softer, to me, than shooting my old 642 and I like the new cylinder release. The 642 cylinder release would chew up the thumb on my firing hand during a 150-200 round range session.
    What kind of ammo though? (That caused injury)
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-11-23 at 11:51.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What kind of ammo though? (That caused injury)
    Just about any load will cause the shooting hand thumb to take a little abuse if you acquire a good grip with your firing hand on a J Frame. The knurling on the cylinder release can scuff up the skin a bit. It's something you learn to work through. If I am coaching a new shooter, I'll have them put a Band-Aid on their thumb and start off shooting 148g HBWC target loads. Once they get the hang of it, we progress to more practical ammunition. They can keep the Band-Aid on their firing hand thumb though.

Lately, for general practice with a revolver used for self-defense, I've been loading a 158g lead bullet at published +P charge weights for Accurate # 5. The recoil is good for shooting timed drills. The felt recoil is a bit more than the Speer 135g Gold Dot +P cartridges I carry.

I've owned a Model 60, Model 337, Model 640, Model 642 and currently carry a BG38. All are good wheel guns, but I prefer the BG38. My only complaint about the BG38 is that the laser stopped working after several thousand rounds on my first BG38 and after about 5,000 rounds on my current BG38.

I've owned pocket 9mm's and a few .380 Autos. I keep going back to the J Frame for concealed carry if I am not going to carry a Glock 19 or something bigger.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-11-23 at 17:38.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    T2C:

Check your PM.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Just about any load will cause the shooting hand thumb to take a little abuse if you acquire a good grip with your firing hand on a J Frame. The knurling on the cylinder release can scuff up the skin a bit. It's something you learn to work through. If I am coaching a new shooter, I'll have them put a Band-Aid on their thumb and start off shooting 148g HBWC target loads. Once they get the hang of it, we progress to more practical ammunition. They can keep the Band-Aid on their firing hand thumb though.

Lately, for general practice with a revolver used for self-defense, I've been loading a 158g lead bullet at published +P charge weights for Accurate # 5. The recoil is good for shooting timed drills. The felt recoil is a bit more than the Speer 135g Gold Dot +P cartridges I carry.

I've owned a Model 60, Model 337, Model 640, Model 642 and currently carry a BG38. All are good wheel guns, but I prefer the BG38. My only complaint about the BG38 is that the laser stopped working after several thousand rounds on my first BG38 and after about 5,000 rounds on my current BG38.

I've owned pocket 9mm's and a few .380 Autos. I keep going back to the J Frame for concealed carry if I am not going to carry a Glock 19 or something bigger.
    Thanks!

When I sold my .357 snubs for .327's I didn't reload, now I do.

I have .38 Colt Short cases and have been loading 158 gr bullets long with 2.7 gr Titegroup. Those are almost gone and I have some softer (BNH 12) 140 gr bullets I'm going to load with the same or lighter charge at standard .38 SC OAL.

I'm trying to cut down to 3 loads. .38 SC, .357 practice load and a .357 carry load.

I found the LCR .327 with a hot .32 mag (100 gr 950 fps) very shootable. 90 gr at 850 fps (typical factory load) downright pleasant, and .32 S&W Longs have .22-like recoil.

But the LCR is kinda big in a pocket.

I'll handle a BG38 next time I see one. A relative has a 642 he'll let me borrow so I can try it out. It has a lock though so I don't actually want to buy it from him.

Feedback Score
    I got one, a 442. The reborn Centennial Model without the squeeze safety born of harangue by Rex Applegate out of Smith&Wesson. It is a gun that makes sense, but there is one thing it don't got.
    Capacity. What were they thinking? Did anyone ever shoot their way past a Wehrmacht checkpoint
    with five shots? Maybe, but not something to count one, nicht wahr?
    Currently internet window shopping for something that can shoot past five.

Feedback Score
    Good Morning Folks, I just happened to see the above Post & figured I would venture brief comment. Now, be advised that this is only 'my personal' opinion, although it is based upon a virtual lifetime of carrying A firearm of one type or another. First, IMHO, the 2" Bbl'd Revolver, especially n the Alloy Framed variants are simply not intended to be used for 'breaking an ambush', & or any similar such engagement. It can of course be extremely useful when used within its overall parameters, that is close range & immediate self defense. I like to think of mine as an 'around town' friend, resting in a coat pocket, or IWB, or on my ankle, depending upon of course what I'm wearing & the current climate. To me, it will only be deployed if both the situation, & its urgency require. It's simply not intended for 21 or 25 yard line shootouts, unless you're rapidly attempting to exfiltrate some scenario to call for assistance. However, up close it can & has proven itself to an extremely great asset, providing enough ballistics to render an assailant incapable of any further mayhem, provided your shots impact relatively well. My little S&W M-642 is loaded dependent upon the season, either 158 LSWCHP+P's, Speer 135 GDHP+P, or perhaps my new 'possible', Federal's new 130 gr. S/D Load that resembles the old 148 FWC Hydra-Shock, which so far appear to be an option. My 642 does though have a little 'enhancer' so to speak. It came Factory Magna-Ported, & I have to admit it does make somewhat of a difference in your perception of recoil. If we remember what these little Revolvers do the best, they can serve us well, provided their properly loaded, you keep the range to short range engagements, & practice, practice, & practice again. And ohh, the Thumb Band Aid can be an excellent 'tool' for any & all shooters. In fact, I prefer to use 2 Band Aids on the same spot.

Best regards, Dom P.

Feedback Score
    They are a close range defensive tool and can work in many, if not most scenarios if you can.

Against a person or persons determined to kill you or scenario involving ranges beyond 15 yds yea, you'll really wish you had a larger gun.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast