Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    When one carries a J frame or any handgun in a pants pocket, that pocket has nothing in it except the gun and the pocket holster, preferably a very thin, simple holster like an Uncle Mike's.

No coins, pocket knife, thumb drive, chap stick, pen, chewing gum, candy, condom, rabbit foot, NOTHING. When you stick your hand in that pocket, all you want to come out is the gun.

Don't follow my advice, I've only pocket carried for 20 years.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    A buddy from work that is an avid 1911 guy and firearms instructor at our academy just picked up one of the kimber revolvers and says it has an awsome trigger right out of the box. It also has more substantial sights. Have not seen or held it yet so I will have to wait for a shooting day at his house to form an opinion.
    Last edited by joedirt199; 01-14-20 at 07:11.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    When I worked the street I always had a 442 with the front sight painted bright fluorescent yellow in a Galco Ankle Glove. I started with a Renegade ankle holster, but found out that while the gun wouldn't come out running, it could when you kicked something hard!

It was nice because you could throw it in a pocket holster in a jacket or cargo shorts when off duty. I'm not a fan of pocket carry for a primary, but as a backup it's awesome because you can be talking to an unknown contact and they have no clue you already have a full firing grip on a gun. The same went for rolling up in a unit with a hand on the gun in the ankle rig.

I've done the pocket as primary thing before, but I never felt comfortable with it. I had a belt holster for the 442, but it was tough to draw fast due to how small and close to the body it carried. I live in a very permissive area, so I'm just not worried about printing enough for a pro to spot it. For a while I carried a 3" Model 66 with boot grips in a Lobo Gun Leather IWB and that was the least printing full size gun I've ever carried. Super comfy too.

But these days I just want more gun, so even the Shield isn't getting carried as much as my G-19 or Walther PPQ. The only revo I have left is an old beater Model 15 for training purposes. I do wish I still had the 3" 66, but I let a good friend talk me out of it and he carries it a lot.

Anyway, good write-up and a 442 is still a great gun for EDC. You just have to put in the work if you want to shoot it well and as always, a man's gotta know his limitations!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    I agree with your assessment, short of maybe the crimson trace grips.

Idk, maybe I'd like it if I tried it. Until then, I'll abuse my hand with the hogue boot grips.

Here's my setup.

That's before I picked up the new grips, and I had to clearance the stock grips for the speed loader.

I use the newer wad cutter style Federal HST's in the revolver and the older style in the speed loader.

The holster is a DeSantis nemesis. It stays put.

I've gotten rather good with it. I did change out some parts though... A Wilson Combat Spring kit and an Apex enhanced reliability firing pin kit ($30 tops and a great improvement, IMO).

Feedback Score
    Great write up. I’ve been carrying J-frames since the early 90s.

My set up has morphed into pretty much what Greg has. I have the 340PD, and with that sticky holster and flat CT405 grips, it just melts into your pocket. I have the one with the ramp front sight and a red insert. Nothing to snag on, works like a charm.

The CT405 groups believe it or not, are for comfort and ergonomics more than it is for the laser. The flat grips slide into the pocket easier, and they’re actually a lot better to hold onto them than the stock grips. The super lightweight unobtanium 340PD is really snappy with hot .357 Mag rounds. The CT grips are softer and eat some of the recoil. The laser is just a bonus. I can take it or leave it.

I live in a part of the world where summer temperatures normally exceed 100°. It’s not uncommon for me to be wearing nothing more than a light T-shirt and a pair of athletic shorts when I walk out the door. The lightweight J frame in a good pocket holster is the normal carry that time of year. You forget it’s there and it doesn’t print at all.

As was said, nothing else goes in that pocket. Nothing. Ever.
    Last edited by Det-Sog; 01-16-20 at 09:51. Reason: spleelling and grahmmer, what else.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    My 340 M&P with Big Dot front sight and CT grips usually goes in a jacket pocket. As mentioned, you can shoot from the pocket if needed. The idea of shooting it in a match is a great one too. Here’s a video of me ruining a jacket at the end of a local match.

https://youtu.be/cQrOsMjAVEQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have a 442 with a set of CT LG-405 and a Safariland Model 25 pocket holster in my front pants pocket right now along with a couple speed strips in my coat pocket.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I pocket carry my old S&W 360PD scandium in .357 it’s been my constant companion for years.

IMG_0959.jpg
    Last edited by tn1911; 01-19-20 at 09:38.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I was walking the wild ass streets of New Orleans today with my family. It was actually hot today and but I was able to pocket my trusty j frame and speed loader while just wearing a light t shirt. It is kind of the ultimate travel pistol.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I was walking the wild ass streets of New Orleans today with my family. It was actually hot today and but I was able to pocket my trusty j frame and speed loader while just wearing a light t shirt. It is kind of the ultimate travel pistol.
    I was wondering if you were packing.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast