Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    My 642-1...

No, not two lasers on it. The LaserMax is their discontinued weapon light, as I prefer to have a light on my carry guns. The LG-405s stay on there, but I only tend to use them for dry fire practice. I periodically check zero, but mostly practice with them off. If I utilize it during a shooting... great... but don’t want to rely on it.

Action-wise, just a lot of shooting with an Apex Duty/Carry Kit. Had the gun completely refinished in NP3 Plus, which slicked it up a little bit.

Only other modification is a 9mm conversion cylinder; done by Pinnacle, but picked it up second hand off AR15.com. Have to use moon clips, which I carry in Del Fatti holders (tried a few different options... they turned out to be the best). The nice thing with the conversion cylinder is I kept my .38 cylinder... which gives me a sort of convertible setup. I rarely switch back from 9mm, though. Been meaning to do some side-by-side testing between the calibers so I can keep accurate numbers.

Carry ammo for me is Hornady XTP 147 grain (standard pressure). No crimp jump through multiple cylinders (same round fired through four shot strings) and good performance compared to my previous defensive round. I use UMC Bulk 115 grain for practice ammo, which is perfect as it is cheap and has the same POI as the XTP. Might try Federal HST 150 grain... but can’t see a huge difference between the two.
    Is there any 9mm ammo that recoils like wadcutter .38's in that?

The cost savings of 9mm sounds great in a revolver but if practice is limited because every shot kicks like a heavy .38 +p it's not cool anymore.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

I hate answering recoil questions, as I grew up (like from age 12) shooting a 629-1... with Magnum loads. I’m probably the least recoil sensitive person out there. Whereas people say .380 out of an LCP is bad, no issue for me.

Those 147 grain XTP don’t recoil any harder than the 110 grain Hornady CD loads. To be honest, I actually could say that the 9mm loads recoil less than .38 +P. But again... probably asking the wrong person.

I don’t shoot +P out of it, as I really don’t see a benefit. Standard pressure 9mm is giving me better performance, so why beat the revolver up more than needed?
    Last edited by Screwball; 03-01-20 at 15:35.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    My 642-1...

No, not two lasers on it. The LaserMax is their discontinued weapon light, as I prefer to have a light on my carry guns.
    What holster are you using to accommodate the light?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    What holster are you using to accommodate the light?
    White Hat Holsters...

Or a custom pocket (vertical cargo pocket) and ankle holster (done off a Galco rig) setup that JEA Custom did for me.

Feedback Score
    Like Screwball, I use titanium cylinders converted to 147gr jhp 9mm in my Airweight 637-2 J-frames. I'm not particularly sensitive to recoil either. These little beasties are a delight to carry and OK to shoot. No problems with crimp jump so far.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My '99 642-1 has been my hot weather pocket carry for 20 1/4 years.

(old photo)

Feedback Score
    Thanks to the OP for this info.
    I learned several things.
    The paint def helps.

Feedback Score
    Good thread! I’ve pocket-carried for well over 10 years, mostly with a J-frame. I started out with a 442, but decided I wanted the exposed hammer and traded for a 49 Bodyguard; the weight difference was not noticeable.
    All I’ve done to it is add a Tyler T-Grip with original ‘lemon peel’ grips to maintain the classic look.
    The hammer is mainly to be able to unlock the cylinder for a rotation check; I’d rather ease the hammer back a bit than press the trigger slightly. Having the SA capability is nice, too. One day when everything fell absolutely perfectly into place, I was able to ring a steel plate with fair regularity.
    In warm Alabama, I can carry in my trouser pocket year round without worrying about heavy coats—though I did have reach-through slots cut olin my heaviest coat. Part of trouser shopping is checking the pockets for gun fit.
    For many years, I thought the little hump-back blaster was one ugly gun...notvany more!

Feedback Score
    I have the 360. I have a love hate relationship with it. With titanium cylinder it weighs so little but hurts so bad to shoot it. I've dumped a fortune in the gun to try to make it worthy. Cerikote black, Apex trigger, night sights, different grips and 2 hammers(one bobbed and one regular). I got it used and had the S&W custom shop gunsmith go over it. It's as smooth as a Python and super accurate with 38s. While it handles 357mag it's painful and shoots high with it. What do I use it for? Pocket carry while riding the ATV in the woods or bush hog'n the back 40. My edc is a 380 Bodyguard pocket carry. Not as accurate but light and ultra reliable.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    That sounds like an awesome peace N2.

Let me say, given these weird times, I don't mind the idea of having a light, safe, stone cold reliable gun that can be hidden and carried without a holster.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast