Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    That sounds like an awesome peace N2.

Let me say, given these weird times, I don't mind the idea of having a light, safe, stone cold reliable gun that can be hidden and carried without a holster.
    They all still need a holster if you want to keep your pockets.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Haha true. But with other guns you need a holster if you want to keep your balls. Holster always preferred of course.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Still rocking mine every day.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Haha true. But with other guns you need a holster if you want to keep your balls. Holster always preferred of course.
    Touché. True that.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    My question has probably been covered somewhere, but my search skills seem to have vanished.

I have a beautiful Denny Reichard tuned 642 that is a frequent companion. It wears Pachmayr Compact Professional grips. I prefer these to the boot grips that came with the gun due to Pacmayr’s extra padding under the trigger guard (although this padding was more important when I loaded it with +P Gold Dots, it is not really an issue with my current load - Federal wad cutters).

None of my speed loaders (HKS and Safariland Comp 1s) work with either load or either grip. Is there a better grip option that allows for pocket or ankle carry but is cut for speed loaders, or is there a link you can point me to that shows me how to modify my grips to accept speed loaders?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My pach's did the same thing. If you have a dremel with a sanding wheel it is easy to relieve the left side so the shells fall out faster. Found out during an IDPA match that my shells needed help getting past the grips. Slowed me down but showed that I need to fix it since I carry it often.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had a 642 for ~10 years, for a year or two after I got it I regularly pocket carried it. Then got away from pocket carry as I have too many other things I want to carry daily and can't afford to lose a pocket. So for a long time I did not carry the 642, it sat in the safe. At some point, I bought a Raven VG2 for it, which they made a few years ago but discontinued. Even with that, I rarely carried it until recently.

A few months ago I realized the 642 in the VG2 is the perfect gym shorts gun, i.e. shorts with no belt as I typically wear around the house or walking the dogs etc. Previously, I did not carry when not wearing a belt. Since I'm carrying a J-frame again it's tempting to get a 340pd or M&P340, although it's really not necessary.

The J-frame is now my daily around the house / dog walking gun. When wearing a belt and untucked shirt, I carry a larger gun usually my Wilson Beretta 92. When wearing a belt and tucked shirt, I carry a G43 in a smartcarry. I now carry close to 100% of the time including at home, thanks to the j-frame working without a belt. While I wear it with gym shorts, I do not wear it while working out as I don't like something bouncing around, so working out or running is about the only time I don't carry.

I have an Apex trigger and the smaller profile crimson trace grips than the ones others have posted here, the reason for the smaller grips is I liked them when I pocket carried but now that I AIWB it a more comfortable fatter grip would be easy to conceal. I rarely use the laser when shooting. I carry with speer gold dot 135gr but will switch to the HST Micro when I can find them in stock somewhere. https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/t...-38-special-p/

D7D69C1C-9F7E-4A84-8D6E-9D3FF7940109.jpeg
    Last edited by lebowski; 06-13-20 at 07:51.

Feedback Score
    “As my friends on here will recall, I actually believe that the J-frame is the best handgun for non-duty/military carry...

I think the J-frame in airweight format is probably the best all-around gun for the average civillian.”

Greg,

I was wondering if you still held this same opinion. If not, what changed your mind and what have you replaced the J with?

Thanks
    Last edited by MSH72; 09-30-23 at 10:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post
    “As my friends on here will recall, I actually believe that the J-frame is the best handgun for non-duty/military carry...

I think the J-frame in airweight format is probably the best all-around gun for the average civillian.”

Greg,

I was wondering if you still held this same opinion. If not, what changed your mind and what have you replaced the J with?

Thanks

I'm not the person to whom this was directed, but holster technology has gotten so much better it's a lot easier to carry and conceal more gun. I frequently (and am currently, at home) carry a G34 in gym shorts and a t-shirt, w/ the phlster enigma. I still occasionally carry my 642 in Raven VG2, but that's mostly when I want easy on/off.

I'll never sell my 642, and I also have a LCR in .22lr. They're still an essential part of a carry rotation because there are certain scenarios I want to just grab it and clip it on or I need something that's completely invisible, but I don't carry either very often anymore.
    Last edited by lebowski; 09-30-23 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Lebowski for the input. True, holsters have come a long way.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast