Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post
    “As my friends on here will recall, I actually believe that the J-frame is the best handgun for non-duty/military carry...

I think the J-frame in airweight format is probably the best all-around gun for the average civillian.”

Greg,

I was wondering if you still held this same opinion. If not, what changed your mind and what have you replaced the J with?

Thanks
    Yes. I still carry the J-frame every day for the same reasons. I carry my Hk45c or even a Beretta 92 on occasion, but it is pretty rare. And my observations about others are the same (lots of folks with great guns, not as much carry). I have seen a huge number of folks buy mini-9s and then put RDS and other crap on them until they aren't carrying consistently because of the usual reasons. Again, if you can carry a full-size or similar consistently, why not (and be honest with yourself, are you really carrying as much as you can with theses guns--if the answer is yes then that is the answer)? But for me, the pocket revolver is the best solution.

In fact, my 2 carry j-frames are getting pretty tired from carry and practice. My laser grips are actually splitting at the seams. I am thinking about picking up a 340PD (with ramp front) to jazz up my carry and reduce the weight even further.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The fact J frames are frequently recommended for “wife’s/girlfriend’s first gun” by gun store ninjas is insanity.
    There are FEW handguns more difficult to shoot rapidly/accurately than a J frame, particularly the alloy frame (642/442) versions.
    I have had a 642 since they came out decades ago. It is an ideal “pocket gun”, run to the Quik Shop on a moments notice gun- but sure as Hell is a lousy candidate for a new shooters “first gun”.
    The crap, DAO trigger pull and recoil with “for real”/+P ammo are two BIG strikes for accurate/rapid shooting.
    They are handy, easy to carry.
    My opinion is they require a great deal of dedication and a degree of ability to shoot well with.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    The older and lazier I become, the more I tend to pocket carry. I've since moved from a J-frame to the Kimber K6XS for pocket carry. It's hard not to justify that 6th round.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    Yes. I still carry the J-frame every day for the same reasons. I carry my Hk45c or even a Beretta 92 on occasion, but it is pretty rare. And my observations about others are the same (lots of folks with great guns, not as much carry). I have seen a huge number of folks buy mini-9s and then put RDS and other crap on them until they aren't carrying consistently because of the usual reasons. Again, if you can carry a full-size or similar consistently, why not (and be honest with yourself, are you really carrying as much as you can with theses guns--if the answer is yes then that is the answer)? But for me, the pocket revolver is the best solution.

In fact, my 2 carry j-frames are getting pretty tired from carry and practice. My laser grips are actually splitting at the seams. I am thinking about picking up a 340PD (with ramp front) to jazz up my carry and reduce the weight even further.
    Thank you sir for replying. I have gone back to your discussion on the J-Frames several times. As one who’s EDC since the early 90’s has primarily been a pair of J-Frames I can really connect to what you are saying. I have tried on several occasions to try and replace the J’s with a higher capacity pistol. Most all of those pistols were great, but I’d always end going back to carrying the pair of J’s. No doubt there are advantages to a higher capacity and harder hitting pistol, but those advantages aren’t called upon much in a civilian defense context. I can comfortably carry a larger pistol, but I find greater comfort in the strengths that a J offers over the advantages of a pistol—context being for the most likely self defense scenarios. Actually, if a pair of J’s were all I had to defend my home I wouldn’t lose any sleep over that either, in fact at a few times in my life that is all I had and managed to sleep just fine. These are very capable self defense tools if people will put the time in training with them.

Thanks again for all you’ve written on your opinions and experiences with the J-Frame and for replying to my questions.

Btw, I think in a thread one time you had mentioned shopping at Barrows. You don’t happen to mean Bo’s place in Butler do you? I’ve bought most all of my guns there now for over 20 years. I live a little north of there.

Take care
    Last edited by MSH72; 10-05-23 at 14:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The fact J frames are frequently recommended for “wife’s/girlfriend’s first gun” by gun store ninjas is insanity.
    There are FEW handguns more difficult to shoot rapidly/accurately than a J frame, particularly the alloy frame (642/442) versions.
    I have had a 642 since they came out decades ago. It is an ideal “pocket gun”, run to the Quik Shop on a moments notice gun- but sure as Hell is a lousy candidate for a new shooters “first gun”.
    The crap, DAO trigger pull and recoil with “for real”/+P ammo are two BIG strikes for accurate/rapid shooting.
    They are handy, easy to carry.
    My opinion is they require a great deal of dedication and a degree of ability to shoot well with.
    True enough. for a lot of people, maybe even most people. It really comes down to a training issue. Many will not enjoy taking the lumps to get good with a J and that’s unfortunate, because it may be the only gun that they will actually carry.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^Yes.
    Training, dedication/discipline.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^Yes.
    Training, dedication/discipline.
    That’s it brother, no work equals no miracles.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Everybody that can shoot one should have one. I had the black Scand frame in 357 ( even though I ran 38 in it) but gave it up in partial trade to get a wedding ring. Now I have this little beauty and even in 38 they require the aforementioned practice. Never tried the laser grip deal, I always thought if I used this it would be pretty damn close qtrs, God help me if I have to take a longer shot with a snubby.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 10-05-23 at 16:30.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Everybody that can shoot one should have one. I had the black Scand frame in 357 ( even though I ran 38 in it) but gave it up in partial trade to get a wedding ring. Now I have this little beauty and even in 38 they require the aforementioned practice. Never tried the laser grip deal, I always thought if I used this it would be pretty damn close qtrs, God help me if I have to take a longer shot with a snubby.

PB
    Nice! These little guns are amazingly accurate for what they are. But, they certainly excel in extreme close quarters fighting.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The J Frame is my daily carry handgun. The J Frame is reasonably accurate and convenient to carry. A couple of speed strips are easy to hide.

I agree that the J Frame is not for new shooters with no trigger time, but I would certainly suggest it before many of the small .380's on the market.
    Train 2 Win

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast