Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

Feedback Score
    I love my J frame. I opted for the scandium 360 PD .357 with CT laser grips.

If I’ve got pants on I’ve got it with me. It’s hard not to just keep it on you at all times because it’s so comfortable to carry.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post
    Thank you sir for replying. I have gone back to your discussion on the J-Frames several times. As one who’s EDC since the early 90’s has primarily been a pair of J-Frames I can really connect to what you are saying. I have tried on several occasions to try and replace the J’s with a higher capacity pistol. Most all of those pistols were great, but I’d always end going back to carrying the pair of J’s. No doubt there are advantages to a higher capacity and harder hitting pistol, but those advantages aren’t called upon much in a civilian defense context. I can comfortably carry a larger pistol, but I find greater comfort in the strengths that a J offers over the advantages of a pistol—context being for the most likely self defense scenarios. Actually, if a pair of J’s were all I had to defend my home I wouldn’t lose any sleep over that either, in fact at a few times in my life that is all I had and managed to sleep just fine. These are very capable self defense tools if people will put the time in training with them.

Thanks again for all you’ve written on your opinions and experiences with the J-Frame and for replying to my questions.

Btw, I think in a thread one time you had mentioned shopping at Barrows. You don’t happen to mean Bo’s place in Butler do you? I’ve bought most all of my guns there now for over 20 years. I live a little north of there.

Take care
    Yes! Hilariously I went to Barrows TODAY and picked up a 43C. I remembered how much I loved shooting my old 22 J_frame (traded off for Lord Knows What). This thread inspired me to pick another one of those pricey little boogers.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    The J Frame is my daily carry handgun. The J Frame is reasonably accurate and convenient to carry. A couple of speed strips are easy to hide.

I agree that the J Frame is not for new shooters with no trigger time, but I would certainly suggest it before many of the small .380's on the market.
    I think what has kept me coming back to the J’s as my EDC is the extreme confidence I have in their inherent reliability. With the exception of a very bad lot of a case of PMC ammo I had one time, where I could only shoot about 2-3 cylinders before I had to brush out underneath the extraction star, my J’s have run flawlessly. I cannot say this about all my auto’s , even my beloved Glocks ( Especially the ones I’ve had over the last 5 years or so). I’m not really a gun collector, they are just fighting tools to me, so I sold off most my other stuff for extra J’s and training ammo. Maybe I’m wrong to do this, but an old Bruce Lee quote comes to mind,” Fear not the man who practices 10,000 kicks once. Fear the man that practices one kick 10,000 times.” I’m a minimalist and I like to train so this works for me.

I will admit that the limited capacity is a real concern. Also, the .38 +P isn’t the hardest hitter out of a 2” barrel. It’s also not the best for very long shots. My solution to these issues is; carry two J’s, use the best ammo I can afford ( Currently I’m using 110 +P Buffalo Bore All Copper HP), I carry two Jet Loaders and a Speed Strip, think tactically, and most importantly, Train, Train, Train!!!
    Last edited by MSH72; 10-06-23 at 18:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dumb Gun Collector View Post
    Yes! Hilariously I went to Barrows TODAY and picked up a 43C. I remembered how much I loved shooting my old 22 J_frame (traded off for Lord Knows What). This thread inspired me to pick another one of those pricey little boogers.
    Barrows is the best! Their prices are great and you don’t have to deal with any gun-store-commando-wannabes behind the counter. 😆 I had planned on going down there today myself but work got in the way. Would have been great to meet you. Let us know how the 43C is doing. Did you get it as a trainer? I had one years ago and I remember the trigger was a little on the heavy side.
    Last edited by MSH72; 10-06-23 at 18:41.

Feedback Score
    I am very curious are most of those here using a J frame living in smaller towns?

I knew a deputy that had been ambushed when he was doing paperwork in the car. A guy approached from his blind spot and shot him in the face. When he recovered he was transferred into one of the more low key detective units. He carried 5 or 6 J frames when he went back to work, this was before the switch to semi autos. He had 2 in shoulder holsters, 2 on the belt, 1 on the ankle and I think also one in his right front pants pocket. He shot the snot out of those revolvers, he would shoot hundreds of rounds a week in practice. I think he was one the most together American cops I ever met.

If I had no other choice I would follow his example. But I have a choice, so I own one revolver and never carry it. My every day carry in one of my 357 sig sort of Glocks. I don't think the Glock 32 I carry is any harder to conceal than a J frame.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I am very curious are most of those here using a J frame living in smaller towns?

I knew a deputy that had been ambushed when he was doing paperwork in the car. A guy approached from his blind spot and shot him in the face. When he recovered he was transferred into one of the more low key detective units. He carried 5 or 6 J frames when he went back to work, this was before the switch to semi autos. He had 2 in shoulder holsters, 2 on the belt, 1 on the ankle and I think also one in his right front pants pocket. He shot the snot out of those revolvers, he would shoot hundreds of rounds a week in practice. I think he was one the most together American cops I ever met.

If I had no other choice I would follow his example. But I have a choice, so I own one revolver and never carry it. My every day carry in one of my 357 sig sort of Glocks. I don't think the Glock 32 I carry is any harder to conceal than a J frame.
    I live and work in an area with one of the highest murder rates in America. Of course, with all the gunfights you have talked about being in, I understand why you want to carry more firepower.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post
    Barrows is the best! Their prices are great and you don’t have to deal with any gun-store-commando-wannabes behind the counter. �� I had planned on going down there today myself but work got in the way. Would have been great to meet you. Let us know how the 43C is doing. Did you get it as a trainer? I had one years ago and I remember the trigger was a little in the heavy side.
    Absolutely. They are nice guys and barely even try to sell you anything. Good Lord, there are some around here that would lecture you endlessly about getting a Staccato or Glock with RDS etc and they clearly are still wearing underwear purchased for them by their mom.

The 43C has a TURRRIBLE trigger. Which I kind of like for a trainer.

We ought to set up a shooting trip one day!

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post

When started carrying I lived in Metro Atlanta. I now live in a smaller town. But, a couple of the surrounding counties have higher crime rates and they often make their way around here. My normal carry is two J’s but have at times carried three. I thought the 365 or the 43x were going to replace my J’s, but after running them for a while I just went back to the J’s.

Feedback Score
    Absolutely. They are nice guys and barely even try to sell you anything. Good Lord, there are some around here that would lecture you endlessly about getting a Staccato or Glock with RDS etc and they clearly are still wearing underwear purchased for them by their mom.

The 43C has a TURRRIBLE trigger. Which I kind of like for a trainer.

That’s true and funny!

Good point.

That would be great.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

Hey I wanna play too. What's this J thing you're talking about?

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast