Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: J-frame Manifesto/ How I set up my J-frames

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH72 View Post
    The gangs around there don’t help matters. That’s one of the main reasons the old mall has pretty much dried up. It was getting very dangerous to go shopping at the mall, or anywhere else in that general area. Several years ago, the mother of someone I used to work with was beaten up badly in the parking lot. The cops said it was a gang initiation. Apparently, she was beaten with chains that had padlocks in the end. It was a common occurrence.

I wonder how much longer before it becomes to dangerous at the shops at and around Riverside?

Some people we know were mugged the other day downtown after eating at a nice restaurant.

Gotta stay alert down in Bibb. Many are moving to surrounding counties.
    Yeah, that's just weird to me. Not that I doubt what you're saying at all. It just that it never occurred to me that Macon would even be in the same league as Atlanta, let alone worse.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Yeah, that's just weird to me. Not that I doubt what you're saying at all. It just that it never occurred to me that Macon would even be in the same league as Atlanta, let alone worse.
    Yeah, it’s crazy. But, gang activity is growing even in smaller counties. I don’t know if you are familiar with Griffin, but there has been a growing problem there. For example, a guy that goes to church with my brother in law was leaving Longhorn heading back to his car , when he got there 3 guys popped up with guns and demanded his keys.

Cities, large and small are falling apart in every way.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The gangs around there don’t help matters. That’s one of the main reasons the old mall has pretty much dried up. It was getting very dangerous to go shopping at the mall, or anywhere else in that general area. Several years ago, the mother of someone I used to work with was beaten up badly in the parking lot. .

Some people we know were mugged the other day downtown after eating at a nice restaurant.

Sound scary.

over 34 years ago I lived less than two miles west of the Macon Mall. The mall was quiet and safe. We ate dinner in the area all the time.

The only half way decent Chinese restaurant was on Riverside. I've only passed through Macon a few times since then.

I did have lunch at the brew pub (Ogmulgee?) with a buddy in the "new" downtown area about 5 years ago? Ironically we were trading guns. LOL. We met in the middle of the day and I felt totally safe, although all three of us were heavily armed (including a couple of J frames).

I don't feel safe going back now, unless the counselor is there to protect me.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A buddy worked with DEA and did a lot of work in Griffin. I know things are on the downward slide.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Sound scary.

over 34 years ago I lived less than two miles west of the Macon Mall.

I don't feel safe going back now, unless the counselor is there to protect me.
    Greg can tell you some crazy stories about us growing up in the late 80's and early 90's walking the streets of Houston Ave. at zero dark thirty. Hitting the Krystal and the Krispy Kreme on Pio Nono at 2 AM.

Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    A buddy worked with DEA and did a lot of work in Griffin.
    I cut my teeth as a street cop in Griffin in the early 2000's and man we had some fun back then!

Saturation patrols on friday and saturday nights in north griffin were crazy. Spaulding Heights, Experiment, Highland Mill Village were always good for two- or three-foot chases and a car chase or two.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    I cut my teeth as a street cop in Griffin in the early 2000's and man we had some fun back then!

Saturation patrols on friday and saturday nights in north griffin were crazy. Spaulding Heights, Experiment, Highland Mill Village were always good for two- or three-foot chases and a car chase or two.
    Come back, they need all the help they can get! LoL!

Feedback Score
    Come back, they need all the help they can get! LoL!
    Negative Ghostrider!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tn1911 View Post
    Negative Ghostrider!
    I don’t blame ya! LoL!

Feedback Score
    I've considered getting a Scandium .357 to shoot .38's from.

I have an LCR .327. .327 and .32 mag ammo is very scarce . I load / reload .32 mag beyond .32 mag pressure for carry ammo. A 100 gr LFN bullet that chronographs at 950 fps.

The .327's have too much blast & recoil. The mild ones and hot .32 mags are basically .380 performance. Choose penetration or expansion. You don't get both.

The LCR trigger is very good for a revolver. However reset isn't great and on just a few occasions I have short-stroked the trigger after firing another gun with a stronger reset. The LCR is slightly bigger than a J, too, and this matters in a pocket.

The 17 oz LCR can be fired with typical. 32 mags all day. But because I also load .38 I could load an Airweight .357 very lightly for practice.

I've been working on a S&W 686+ and a J would overlap some training.

I haven't carried the LCR in awhile but I can say it's a helluva lot better holstered ISWB in front of the hip than in a pocket holster. But then you can't do the casual hand in pocket...around the grip of a gun trick. That's the fastest draw there is. (From casual to bang!)

I'm not firing hot .38's from a 12 ounce J frame. I'd carry it with 158 gr LSWC loaded to about 750 fps. A 2 inch .38 can't give penetration & expansion either unless it's very hot and that's too much recoil in an alluminum framed gun.

The only gun I ever carry in a pocket is a Beretta M21A .25 acp. Its about 14 oz loaded IIRC. Same as a 12-12.5 oz Scandium S&W. (After it's loaded)
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-09-23 at 00:39.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast