Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WHat multitool?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Leatherman Charge, and Swisstool Spirit. Both are HEAVY, but that's quality made gear with good steel. Never could quite decide which I like better. Maybe 51 to 49 % in favor of the Swisstool, love the easy accessibility of the tools.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have an older Leatherman Sprint that is very similar to the original Leatherman model in terms of size and features for casual carry and hunting. I really like the Squirts (plier, not scissor) for the same purposes. I carry a MUT on my duty belt and actually find the bronze scraper quite useful for removing carbon buildup on AR15 bolts

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I carry a MUT on my duty belt and actually find the bronze scraper quite useful for removing carbon buildup on AR15 bolts
    I had been eyeing one of those for the range bag, next time I see one on sale. Do you find that is about the best multitool that's specialized for AR usage? I looked recently, couldn't believe how many of these things are out there now.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I had been eyeing one of those for the range bag, next time I see one on sale. Do you find that is about the best multitool that's specialized for AR usage? I looked recently, couldn't believe how many of these things are out there now.
    I think that for range bag AR15-specific tasks I’ll add a Gerber Short Stack to go along with the small multitool which I have in there now. I bought the MUT because I wanted a larger tool whose blades could be opened with one hand while closed for duty use and the fact that it was for a very good sale price. The AR tools are an added benefit

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Anyone ever have a set of early (maybe 1st) Gerber Multipliers? The kind where the pliers snap out the front and lock with a sort of spring loaded roller.

A little bit loose, but otherwise well made except for the design issue where the handles were closed when the jaws were. Not an issue in any other tool use, but wire cutting was a whole other ball game with a harsh lesson that sunk in fast the first time. Cutters go through and simultaneously a bit of meat pops up in the palm that is right between the rapidly accelerating handles. Hallucination level, instant pain and seems like my palm got a bit stuck in the mechanism. Always remembered to use both hands (so nothing could get in between the handles) or heavy work gloves if 1 handing it after that.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 02-25-20 at 13:22.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I had a pair and quit carrying them when I kept picnching my hand. Otherwise well made, though

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 09fatbob View Post
    Leatherman is great. However Gerber is 1 handed deployment of the tool
    So is the wave. Blades accessible with your thumb, which the Gerber can’t do, and just flick your wrist to open up the pliers and have them ready to go.

The main reason I moved away from the Gerber is that I pinched some of my palm flesh real good when using the pliers. The Leatherman operates more like actual pliers, and didn’t have that problem.

Feedback Score
    I'm a big fan of the Leatherman Style PS and the Skeletool. The Style is with me all the time on the key chain. I also have to go government buildings quite a bit and the fact it does not have a blade makes security a lot easier. The scissors or even the nail file/flathead will open up anything if I need to "cut" something open. The Skeletool has just the right amount of tools for "normal" tasks. I like the look and it carries pretty much like a pocket knife.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    I have a few Gerber models, and a few Leathermen. The one I seem to carry most is the Leatherman Wingman. Spring loaded pliers, knife on the outside, carries with a pocket clip and feels like a folding knife in the pocket. Has JUST enough tools to get me through the day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123