Thread: Issue Ammunition for USAF's GAU-5A 'Aircrew Self-Defense Weapon' ?

Feedback Score

Issue Ammunition for USAF's GAU-5A 'Aircrew Self-Defense Weapon' ?

Hello Gents, I wasn't sure if this query belong in the ammunition Forum, or here. As it is related to an actual was on system, & I guess it could go either way. [ MODS, please feel free to move it is incorrect. ] OK, Here we go; Does anyone know which USGI ammunition is being issued with these 'GAU-5A Aircrew Self-Defense Weapons', I'm curious ? Did the USAF designate any particular loading based upon it's 12.5" bbl, or just issue what's on hand ? As these are a very limited issue item, I thought that perhaps they would issue something more 'purpose intent' ? Oh, & while I'm here, what is the current issue USAF 5.56 NATO loading ?
    As always, any & all replies will be very much appreciated. THANKS

Best, dpast32

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    We had M855A1 last time I was issued ammo, rifle was a FN M4.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Even the AZNG is issued A1, greenies are gone.

Feedback Score
    THANK YOU Guys, I appreciate your input. Knowing our Military, I kind of figured that they would have 'just issued the regular GI ammo' but you never really know until you ask. Based upon the weapon's 12.5" bbl, along with their specific intended application, I thought that maybe they did develop a purpose specific loading. Just for the record, while looking into this issue, I happened across an awesome, apparently beautifully crafted 'clone / replica ' of the USAF's GAU-5A 'ASDW' by Midwest Industries. Upon my initial look, I said I just have to have one of these, but, as in so many of my wishes & wants, reality sets in, & I realize that I really don't NEED one. If interested, please see their LINK below:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/578.htm

THANKS again Guys,

Best, dpast32

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpast32 View Post
    THANK YOU Guys, I appreciate your input. Knowing our Military, I kind of figured that they would have 'just issued the regular GI ammo' but you never really know until you ask. Based upon the weapon's 12.5" bbl, along with their specific intended application, I thought that maybe they did develop a purpose specific loading. Just for the record, while looking into this issue, I happened across an awesome, apparently beautifully crafted 'clone / replica ' of the USAF's GAU-5A 'ASDW' by Midwest Industries. Upon my initial look, I said I just have to have one of these, but, as in so many of my wishes & wants, reality sets in, & I realize that I really don't NEED one. If interested, please see their LINK below:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/578.htm

THANKS again Guys,

Best, dpast32
    Just an FYI, with my 12.5 guns and some M193 surplus ammo, I'm getting almost 3000fps at the muzzle.
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 01-14-20 at 23:04.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Just an FYI, with my 12.5 guns and some M193 surplus ammo, I'm getting almost 3000fps at the muzzle.
    How close is 'almost'?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No idea why they picked the lengths they cut, but some SWAG assumptions can be formed from this:

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/12/223...s-to-6-inches/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    No idea why they picked the lengths they cut, but some SWAG assumptions can be formed from this:

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/12/223...s-to-6-inches/
    Yeah I know. 3K from M193 out of a 12.5" barrel is 'optimistic' at best.

Unless you define 'almost' is +/-500 FPS, then it's an accurate statement.

Feedback Score
    The reason the barrels were cut to exactly 12.5" was due to their ability to fit precisely within the USAF's Aircrew / Aircraft Survival Kit, which was / is designed to all fit within the Pilot's seat unit. When he ejects, the seat 'kit'_goes out with him, or her, & will hopefully allow them to survive until they're rescued by a SAR unit. Prior to this Kit becoming available, all the Pilot's & or Aircrew had was an issue 9mms Pistol, which doesn't really hold up against AM or similarly armed insurgents. The Kit weighs in at 40 lbs, & includes 4x liaded, 30 Rd Magazines, for a total of 120 rds on tap. Hey, it sure beats just a 9mm M92 or P228 !!I

Best, dpast32