Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First day at 1 mile

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

First day at 1 mile

I borrowed a friends Vectronix range finder. Mark and found a mile shot at another location on the same ranch. Kind of a pisser to get to and set up. Later we went to our normal hide and shot out to 1,300. We then went to the 1,300 target to paint and and see if we could range something looking back towards the hide. Much to my surprise we were able to laze a hill at exactly 1760. We then drove to the spot on this very rocky mountainside. Except this little platuea that was flat and free of rocks, amazing luck.

We took the shooting Matt, 300WM, 230 Atips that we just chrono’d at 2836 FPS. Had a buddy run numbers from home and came up with 17.4 mills. We had a strong tail wind so I shaved .2 off, laid down sent one that hit low right. Didn’t need that .2 shaved, added the .2 to get back to 17.4 mills. Missed next one on wind, 3rd shot and hit indicator lit up. Mark jumped on gun and made first round hit with previous DOPE.

We did the exact same thing with our 225 ELD’s but had to bump up the DOPE as the BC not as high.

Looking forward to trying some hits next week with 6.5CM and possible 308. Our target is something like 24X24, so not huge but doable for sure. Pretty pumped to get on with my 3rd try.

Pretty good stuff.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Here's our plateau from heaven. Exactly 1760 to our existing steel.

Target hit light indicators were very helpful although we could see our hits on the freshly painted 24"X24" gong in the spotting scope.

Both loads used 225 ELD and 230 A-Tip. 225 ELD needed 7 tenths mil extra come up over the A-Tips to get on steel.

Last edited by markm; 01-12-20 at 15:20.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Excellent.

Livin’ the dream gents. Well done.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    That is awesome. I’m just trying to get consistent at 1000 yards . Great shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpb1776 View Post
    That is awesome. I’m just trying to get consistent at 1000 yards . Great shooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to get consistent at 50 yards (with my 10/22).

I'm tempted to quit work, leave my family, buy a 6.5, and come hang out with y'all for a year.

Very cool.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Very nice. Looks like a great spot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I'm tempted to quit work, leave my family, buy a 6.5, and come hang out with y'all for a year.
    We'll see if 6.5 can do it next weekend. 6.5 had been luke warm past 1000 yards thus far. If there's any wind, forget about it.

We may have had our easiest go at the mile on Saturday. Conditions were perfect. We've struggled at much shorter distances when things just aren't clicking.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I'm trying to get consistent at 50 yards (with my 10/22).

Very cool.
    Bring it big man. Any given Sunday my Brother.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    BRAVO!!

I love it when guys hit the one mile target for the first time. It gives one a real sense of accomplishment.

There are folks who have much more expensive equipment that will immediately get you into a two-mile dick-measuring contest -- just because.

Developing your skills and tuning yourself, rifle, scope, and equipment to take it to the ragged edge of what is possible with what you have -- priceless.

Great job, guys!

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We'll see if 6.5 can do it next weekend. 6.5 had been luke warm past 1000 yards thus far. If there's any wind, forget about it.
    It can. Factory GMM in mid 30's 800ft elevation on a day with 6.1-7.0 mils of wind correction. Even got hits off the tripod.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 01-14-20 at 20:01.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast