Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: First day at 1 mile

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Dang, we need a "Like" button.

Good job, boys!
    Thanks Sinister, great to find a spot. I think the biggest challenge for most people is having a spot to shoot from and learn. Cant learn if you don't shoot.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    So being the bass ackwards person I am, the load we hit with at a mile(ish) a couple weeks back was the first time I shot with it. Finally got out to shoot groups to see how it would do. This was the best of three, comfortably. The other two were .5MOA and .65MOA. This one represents the best group I’ve shot at any distance. Did a double take when I walked up to look at it. All with a factory Rem 700 barrel.

The other groups at 67gr of powder were just under a minute. Quite a difference.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow! That will work.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    We have taken a shot at the mile pop a couple of times in the last few weeks. We would go set up at our original spot then when the spirit moved us we would roll over and take a shot at the mile. Bad plan, mirage ate our asses alive and wind kicks up up as the day progresses. I know for certain we went out twice and never hit it, danced all around our 24X24 target. With the 300 we could see some of our misses, the 6.5 was vapor for all we knew.

Yesterday , we went straight to the mile to fix our bruised egos. The first 5 shots with 300, no hits. So close though we couldn't tell where the miss was, just dust behind the target. Then 6.5 was on in a couple shots and we both tapped it once dialed in, back to 300 and got back on it with a back to back hits.

Moral of the story, if you want to shoot ELR, do it first thing in the AM. Especially in the warmer months.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    So being the bass ackwards person I am, the load we hit with at a mile(ish) a couple weeks back was the first time I shot with it. Finally got out to shoot groups to see how it would do. This was the best of three, comfortably. The other two were .5MOA and .65MOA. This one represents the best group I’ve shot at any distance. Did a double take when I walked up to look at it. All with a factory Rem 700 barrel.

The other groups at 67gr of powder were just under a minute. Quite a difference.
    Thats a solid load, what was the SD? If you documented it. I have a factory Rem700 5R in .223 that is a crazy accurate shooter as well.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 03-30-20 at 13:19.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

First day at 1 mile

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Thats a solid load, what was the SD? If you documented it. I have a factory Rem700 5R in .223 that is a crazy accurate shooter as well.

PB
    I chrono’d 10 rounds with an ES of 20. I had 8 rounds between 2956 and 2969, the other two were 2949. Taking those two out, that’s more than good enough for me. I’m not a neck turner or use any of the other stuff like weight sorting brass and primers.

Remington can make a decent barrel, just a crap shoot whether you get one.
    Last edited by Vegas; 03-30-20 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I chrono’d 10 rounds with an ES of 20. I had 8 rounds between 2956 and 2969, the other two were 2949. Taking those two out, that’s more than good enough for me.

Remington can make a decent barrel, just a crap shoot whether you get one.
    Those are solid numbers. I bought the 5R's which increase the likelihood of getting a good Remmy barrel. Mark bought a bone stock one that has been an excellent shooter. I read an article in one of the local Gun rags, new CEO of Remmy and going to try and get them back on track with quality. Needs to be up there with Tika and Bergara etc.

I only had one barrel not sub moa, it was in 300WM I got on trade, it was a 1.5 gun. It got a krieger!

PB

Feedback Score
    Pappa and Mark does a 1-10 twist stablize the 230 A Tip?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by archad View Post
    Pappa and Mark does a 1-10 twist stablize the 230 A Tip?
    Yes, it do. Our last Chron, our A-tips had an SD 4 @28XX plus fps. Should not be a problem but every rifle is different, I still think your safe.

PB

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Those are solid numbers. I bought the 5R's which increase the likelihood of getting a good Remmy barrel. Mark bought a bone stock one that has been an excellent shooter. I read an article in one of the local Gun rags, new CEO of Remmy and going to try and get them back on track with quality. Needs to be up there with Tika and Bergara etc.

I only had one barrel not sub moa, it was in 300WM I got on trade, it was a 1.5 gun. It got a krieger!

PB
    I hope the new guy pulls it off. It’s a shame to see companies with such history gain poor reputations. My other 700 is a 308 SPS. Started out life as a 20” gun and was nicely sub minute. It received a bad threading job from a local hack. It ended up being cut back to 19” and rethreaded by the Remington authorized repair center here. Still sub minute. That one is a bit older, around 2013.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast